Let's speak English here.
Antworten
usa01
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: Deutsch

That's me!

Beitrag von usa01 »

Hi everybody,

my name is Andy and I'm new here in this forum. I'm 22 years old and I love to speak and write English. Honestly I like it more than my native language German :P

I'm not sure if this is the right place for my question but I have to present a short report about Nelson Mandela on December 18th 2013.

It would be very nice if one of you would correct this or let me know the mistakes I made :)

Today I want to talk about a well-known person named Nelson Mandela. The presentation is structured into three big fields: the first one tells us something about his early life including education and raising. The second part will give us the information about his political career and why he became so famous and popular. His death on December 05[sup]th[/sup] 2013 and the responds of the entire world is part of the last section.
Nelson Mandela was born on July 18[sup]th[/sup] 1918 in Mvezo, a very small village South Africa. He was part of a quite big family with three sisters and three brothers. The first stroke of fate he had to cope with was the death of his father in 1927. The young Mandela was just 9 years old. With 21 years Mandela enrolled at the “University College of Fort Hare” in Alice. This university was the center of the political resistance against the white hegemony in South Africa.
During this time he protests against the bad provisions on the campus and consequently he had to leave the university. He fled to Johannesburg with a friend named Justice and both reached the capital in 1941. During the time in Johannesburg he had a lot of jobs. Among other things Mandela was also a heavy weight boxer. He was a security guard in a gold mine as well but he was discharged. This experience taught him what capitalism means. Due to different reasons Mandela passed his final examination even in 1989, he finished as a Bachelor of Law.

In order to do something against the current situation in South Africa, where black people were without any rights, he joined the African National Congress party in 1942. But he recognized soon that this party is not the right way to make any change. In cooperation with Walter Sisulu and Oliver Tambo he decided to found his own party named ANC youth league (it was a subsidiary of the “big” ANC party). The chief purpose: enforcement of the right of self-determination for black people. After a couple of years the ANC established as the sign of hope for all Negros in South Africa. Unfortunately not everything went very well. In December 1952 and because of the “Mandela-Plan” he was banned for 6 months which means he was not allowed to leave Johannesburg and he was also not allowed to join political assemblies. After this incident he had a focus on his job and together with his friend Oliver Tambo he set up the first lawyer’s office in South Africa. But instead of giving up his political goal he continued fighting against racism. During 1962 he travelled through Africa and Great Britain because he needed financial support for his fight. But for black people it was not allowed to leave South Africa, consequently he was arrested again – for 5 years. The government prepared further indictments against him. The result: life imprisonment from 1964 onwards! Frederik William de Clerk, the former white president of South Africa, released Nelson Mandela in 1990 after 28 years of jail – without any conditions. Mandela and de Clerk were honored with the Nobel Peace Prize in 1993. One year later Mandela became the first black president of “his” country, South Africa. He held an office until 1999.
His death on December 05[sup]th[/sup] 2013 shocked the whole world. Barack Obama praised him as a “giant of the history”, Angela Merkel said “he was an inspiration”. Francois Hollande said: “He made history not only for South Africa but for the entire world.”
I think we all agree that Nelson Mandela was a hero until his death and every head of government can take a leaf out of his book. He showed how we can solve problems in a different kind of way.

Thanks a lot for your help and I'm very looking forwart hearing from you soon!

brian f
Slow Speller
Muttersprache: English

Re: That's me!

Beitrag von brian f »

Mit means with, but not when talking about someone's age.

Mit 21 = at 21

Antworten