Kia Ora from New Zealand ;-)

Write something about yourself (who you are and where you come from).
Antworten
Mel_aus_Neuseeland
Slow Speller

Kia Ora from New Zealand ;-)

Beitrag von Mel_aus_Neuseeland »

Moin, moin und ganz herzlichen Gruesse aus Neuseeland!

I've posted a message before stating this - but if anyone would like help improving their English in any way, please contact me! I'll be happy to help :) .

Ich hoffe, dass alles in Deutschland gut ist! Bitte zu mich schreiben (besonders, wenn Sie Die Aerzte und Die Toten Hosen moegen)! :wink:

Tschuess,

Mel.

CID
Linguistic Guru

Beitrag von CID »

Hi Mel,

I wouldn't quite say I'm a fan of the groups "Die toten Hosen" or "Die Ärzte" but they're ok and some of the songs are really good. Since I work in Düsseldorf I sort of HAVE to like the "Toten Hosen", don't I?

Are your German friends somewhere from the nouthern parts of Germany? I was just wondering because of the "Moin, moin!"

Do you know what "MOIN" means? A lot of Germans don't!

Looking forward to your reply!!!

Mel_aus_Neuseeland
Slow Speller

Hi there - thanks for replying!

Yes, my German friends are (mostly) from northern Germany :) . And I know/think that "moin" means "hi" or something similar...well, that's what they've all told me anyway :wink: . Maybe it's one of those words that's hard to directly translate...for example, I am yet to find a German who can successfully translate the word "Schleimer". Hehe.

And don't go knocking the German music - that is what helped me learn German! What kind of work do you do in Duesseldorf? (I hate these English keyboards that have no Umlauts). Or "dotty things" as I prefer to call them.

So...what exactly does "moin" mean? Or "Schleimer", if you're up for a challenge!

Tschuess,
Mel.

mimarinX
Topic Talker
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Beitrag von mimarinX »

Hello.

"Schleimer".... :denk:

I would translate it with

"suck-up" or "brown-nose" .........

but that's just a suggestion.... not sure....

Thought you maybe would like someone to correct your German???
Bitte zu mich schreiben
<<<< Bitte schreiben Sie mir.
If not... sorry... :oops:

byebye
mimarinX
:bye:
Jede Dummheit findet Einen der sie begeht.....

Mel_aus_Neuseeland
Slow Speller

Hallo mimarinX,

Danke!! Bitte verbesser mich, es ist sehr nett und viel geschaetzt! Naja, meine Fehler sind vermutlich zu zahlreich... :oops:

Yeah, "suck-up" is probably the closest translation to "schleimer"... that was my pick, too :) Danke fuer dein hilfe!

Tschuess, bye!

Mel. :)

CID
Linguistic Guru

Beitrag von CID »

Mel,

Personally I'm convinced the term "moin" is originated in Dutch or a some northern German dialect meaning "good". But:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moin

Your second question:
I'm with a law enforcement autohrity.

I like your term "dotty things" :)

Cheers

CID
Linguistic Guru

Beitrag von CID »

sorry: "auTHority" of course.

Does anyone know how to edit a post or a contribution, I'm obviously too stupid for that, can't find a button or anything like that :(

By the way:
Funnily enough I can't send a "Persönliche Nachricht", They never arrive, I can answer them though.

Any suggestion or hint is well appreciated!!!

Mel_aus_Neuseeland
Slow Speller

Hey Cid,

To edit what you've written, look @ the right-hand corner of your post and click the button which says "edit" :wink:

Cheers for the "moin" origin info - that was really interesting! Do you have any other random tidbits of information regarding the great German language?

Tschuess,

Mel.

Ps - what German bands DO you like? :)

CID
Linguistic Guru

Beitrag von CID »

Hi Mel,

Well, if I like a song, I like a song, not matter what band, no matter what language (preferably English and German though). There are a lot of good German bands...
I used to be a big Queen-fan (when I was young, about a hundred years ago), went to a concert once.

Regarding the language thing: Whenever I come across anything I will send it to you :)

Thanks for the "edit-info"

What do YOU do for a living?

CID

Mel_aus_Neuseeland
Slow Speller

Ach, doch...es ist leider immer noch schlect :oops: aber vielen dank fuer Ihr Kompliment :) es war sehr nett!

But you wouldn't be saying that if you heard me actually speak German... it is quite depressing really...

Cid: You're a Queen fan? You have successfully secured my respect!! They're probably second only to the Beatles, or Spilt Enz...

As for what I do for a living, it's really not that much at the moment besides trying to fit eating and sleeping in between exams and essays. I'm still a student, but am finishing High School in 4 weeks and then I'm starting Uni. Am going to get into Journalism or Public Relations...but now you're starting to get my life story, so I'll cruise before I bore you :wink:

Tschuess!

Mel.

Ps - just saw your election results on the news...NZ still doesn't have a government yet!

CID
Linguistic Guru

Beitrag von CID »

All the best for your exams then :)

Melina_Dolphin
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von Melina_Dolphin »

Hi Mel,

Well ok,I'm new here and I just wanted to introduce myself to you.
My name is Melina and I live in northern Germany :)
I'd really like to talk with you.In your last post you mentioned that just love bands like "Die Ärzte", "Die Toten Hosen"... etc..Well, I am a great fan of these bands myself, especially "Die Ärzte". :D.Yet I noticed that you just said you'd like to help others to improve their english skills.Well, my english need to be improved too,I guess, so it would be
extremely kind of you to help me a little... Would you like to do this?
I could help you by practising the German language in return, if you prefer.Anyway.I'd be happy to hear from you again.Please feel free to write me.I'd really appreciate the help. :D

Melina

Mel_aus_Neuseeland
Slow Speller

Moin Melina,

Your english seems very good already! But of course, I'd love to help you - that's why I'm here :)

Do you have MSN? My account is sweet_insanity66@hotmail.com. Perhaps you could add me, and we could chat there (although it's hard with the time difference!) or we could email. Whatever you'd like to do!

Hope to hear from you soon,

Mel. :-)

Melina_Dolphin
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von Melina_Dolphin »

Hello Mel,

Thanks for replying :) It was extremely kind of you to offer your help.
I really appreciate it.Unfortunately I don't have MSN, but I'd be happy to talk with you by email.If it is ok to send you a private message, I would let you have my email address.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you again :D

Melina

PS: Thank you for the compliment.It was very kind of you, especially saying it so nicely :)

Antworten