Let's speak English here.
Antworten
Azzurri
Frequent Typer
Muttersprache: Deutsch

The life in GB

Beitrag von Azzurri »

Good evening.

I noticed there are some people who live in England.
How is the life there?
Are the people really so friendly how some friends told me?

Why do you prefer to live there instead of Germany?

If I want to travel to England, what is the best place for sightseeing?
They say London would be very nice and popular, but also very expensive because there is big tourism.

Greetings,
Azzurri
Lehrling am Werk!

Keswick
English Legend

Re: The life in GB

Beitrag von Keswick »

Azzurri hat geschrieben:Good evening.

I noticed there are some people who live in England.
How is the life there?
Are the people really as friendly as some friends told me?

Why do you prefer living there instead of Germany?

If I wanted to travel to England, what is the best place for sightseeing?
They say London is very nice and popular, but also very expensive because of the tourism.

Greetings,
Azzurri

Hello Azzurri.

Life in England is not so much different from life anywhere else. You can find friendly people, and less friendly people, like anywhere else. It is true, that the English are considered more polite than maybe the Germans who are generally considered more direct and straight forward. This might be the case, however I think sometimes it is better to be straight forward and getting straight to the point.

I couldn't say whether I prefer living in Germany or in England. I have family in both countries and both countries have their good and their bad sides. I like England very much, the people, the culture, the language. I am grateful for what the country and its people have provided me with, and what I have achieved. Considering all this plus the fact that my husband is English, I'd say that I much rather live in England than in Germany. For now anyway. Naturally I can't tell you how I am going to feel about this in a few years time. But for now I am happy to be where I am.

As for sightseeing. Everybody is constantly mentioning London.. and to be fairly honest with you, I am sure London is great. However, even after all those years that I have been living in the UK, I have never visited London as a tourist. Shocking, ey? I have been there on business trips but it's not the same, is it? So I can't say anything about London, sorry. What I can say though is that the UK is full of wonderful place. Just to give you some examples: Edinburgh, York, Newcastle upon Tyne, the Lake District, Whitby, the Borders, Bamburgh ... Northumberland is breathtaking. All you need is a bit of time and good shoes to explore the ancient gems hidden away from the rumble of modern day tourism.

Kind regards
Keswick
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

Azzurri
Frequent Typer

Beitrag von Azzurri »

I'd like to visit England. It always looks nice.
Unfortunately, my wife doesn't interested in England and the language.

You said you have never been in London as a tourist. I think it doesn't matter if you visit London for business or to go shopping. You live in the UK :P
Are other cities as popular as London in case of foreigner? At School my teacher told me there live so many different people.

Azzurri
Lehrling am Werk!

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

Azzurri hat geschrieben:I'd like to visit England. It always looks nice.
Unfortunately, my wife isn't interested in England or the language.

You said you have never been to London as a tourist. I think it doesn't matter if you visit London for business or to go shopping. You live in the UK :P
Are other cities as popular as London if you're a foreigner? In school my teacher told me there live so many different people.

Azzurri

I am not sure what you mean? Do you mean that other cities are as popular for foreigners as London is? London is a melting pot of a range of nationalities and cultures, which I think makes it quite interesting. As for other cities, Birmingham for example is very popular amongst Caribbean people, they even have a Caribbean festival.

Azzurri
Frequent Typer

Beitrag von Azzurri »

Keswick hat geschrieben:
Azzurri hat geschrieben:Are other cities as popular as London if you're a foreigner? In school my teacher told me there live so many different people.

Azzurri

I am not sure what you mean? Do you mean that other cities are as popular for foreigners as London is? London is a melting pot of a range of nationalities and cultures, which I think makes it quite interesting. As for other cities, Birmingham for example is very popular amongst Caribbean people, they even have a Caribbean festival.

Sorry, my Internet Explorer writes some words big like School instead of school ...
Also I don't understand your expression in green.

I want to say in London there are more than 70 different nations/peoples (I read this in my English book). There are more cities with a "melting pot"?

In Dortmund, we also have a festival. There are many knights and old buildings, but I don't know what that means :P
Caribbean festival sounds great. I have to google it next time :D
Lehrling am Werk!

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

I thought you wanted to ask: sind andere Staedte bei Auslaendern ebenso beliebt wie London? Is that what you wanted to say at all?

Yes, many bigger cities are melting pots of different nationalities and cultures. Look at Gateshead for example, we have Jews and Muslims living there, lots of Polish people and Africans and Indians. I would go as far as calling it a melting pot, the diversity is very interesting :)

Antworten