How to learn effectively.
Antworten
Fischfilet
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Radio Shows for practicing English

Beitrag von Fischfilet »

Hi,

my name is Stephan and my mothertongue ist German. I'm writing in English here because I want to practice my language skills. I think it should be okay in this forum, if not, please tell me. (And if you find some mistakes in my texts, please tell me as well).

I don't think my English is really bad, but it still could be better. My biggest problem is to understand native speakers. And that's why I'm looking for radio shows or similiar to practice my listening skills. I've been on the bbc-website looking for some good documentaries or the like for training. I tried some of these audios, but it's really difficult to me to understand them. The speakers are talking really fast and there are often a lot of vocabularies, that I don't know. I also tried it at audile, but it's the same there.

It's a goal of mine to understand even those fast spoken texts, but I don't think it's the right way to start with them. So do you know alternatives, that could be useful to me? I know these bbc learning english thing, but that's way to easy in my opinion. It should be something between this. At best there would also be the written text of the show/audio book included, so that I could read over the more difficult passages.

Many thanks for your help!

kind regards
Stephan

Keswick
English Legend
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Re: Radio Shows for practicing English

Beitrag von Keswick »

Fischfilet hat geschrieben:Hi,

my name is Stephan and my mothertongue ist German. I'm writing in English here because I want to practice my language skills. I think it should be okay in this forum, if not, please tell me. (And if you find any mistakes in my texts, please tell me as well).

I don't think my English is really bad, but it still could be better. My biggest problem is to understand native speakers. And that's why I'm looking for radio shows or similiar to practice my listening skills. I've been on the BBC website looking for some good documentaries or the like for training. I tried some of these audios, but it's really difficult to me to understand them. The speakers are talking really fast and there are often a lot of words, that I don't know. I also tried it at audile, but it's the same there.

It's a goal of mine to understand even those fast spoken texts, but I don't think it's the right way to start with them. So do you know alternatives, that could be useful to me? I know these BBC learning English thing, but that's way too easy in my opinion. It should be something a bit more advanced. At best there would also be the written text of the show/audio book included, so that I could read over the more difficult passages.

kind regards
Stephan

Hi Stephan,

It is certainly alright to write in English in this forum and I corrected some mistakes of yours.

I am not sure that there are audio recordings and/or shows with the written text included. Have you tried to watch films with subtitles? That would be a good start to get an ear for native speakers. Apart from that I can only recommend listening to the radio over and over again, or maybe find yourself a native speaker to talk to? Sometimes universities offer what they call a "Sprachenstammtisch". This might be available where you live.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Regards
Keswick
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

Delfino
Anglo Veteran
Muttersprache: German

Re: Radio Shows for practicing English

Beitrag von Delfino »

May I recommend the short subtitled talks on

http://www.ted.com/talks
http://www.amara.org/en/videos/watch/

http://www.khanacademy.org

I also corrected some mistakes of yours. :wink:
Keswick hat geschrieben:
Fischfilet hat geschrieben:Hi,

My name is Stephan, and my mother tongue is German. I'm writing in English here
because I want to practice my language skills. I think it should be okay in this forum,
if not, please tell me. (And if you find any mistakes in my texts, please tell me as well).

I don't think my English is really bad, but it still could be better. My biggest problem is to understand native speakers.
And that's why I'm looking for radio shows or something similar to practice my listening skills. I've been on the BBC website looking for some good documentaries or the like for training. I tried some of their audio samples, but it's really difficult for me to understand them. The speakers are talking really fast, and there are often a lot of words that I don't know. I also tried it at audile, but it's the same there.

It's a goal of mine to understand even those fast spoken texts, but I don't think it's the right way to start with them.
So do you know alternatives, that could be useful to me? I know this BBC learning English thing, but that's way too easy
in my opinion. It should be something a bit more advanced. At best there would also be the written text of the show/audio book included, so that I could read over the more difficult passages.

Kind regards,
Stephan

Hi Stephan,

It is certainly alright to write in English in this forum and I corrected some mistakes of yours.

I am not sure that there are audio recordings and/or shows with the written text included.
Have you tried to watch films with subtitles? That would be a good start to get an ear for native speakers.
Apart from that I can only recommend listening to the radio over and over again,
or maybe you can find yourself a native speaker to talk to?
Sometimes universities offer what they call a "Sprachenstammtisch". This might be available where you live.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Regards,
Keswick
...is supplied without liability.
IELTS 7 Good user: operational command, occasional inaccuracies

Antworten