Let's speak English here.
Antworten
Marly
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: German

Summary

Beitrag von Marly »

Hey guys,

I just want to ask if there are any special tips to write a summary.

In school we have learned that you have to write in simple present and that you should only mention the important things in your summary. But for me it is difficult to write such a summary. That's why I want to ask you if you can give me an advice to write better summaries :)

PS: Can I post my summary here? (Sorry, I'm new :wink: )

Marly
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: German

Re: Summary

Beitrag von Marly »

My summary (i hope it is okay if I post it here):

1. Text to summarize:

It would be Nina's birthday soon. Her brother David and some friends had planned a birthday surprise for her - a trip to kakadu National Park.
The group left early on their drive, laughing, joking and talking about what they might do there, walking, rock climbing, fishing, swimming in a freshwater billabog, picknicking by the river.
"You must be joking! What about the crocs?", said David, who was always careful and never did anything dangerous.
Cathy said that most of the crocs in the park were freshwater crocs, smaller and not aggressive like "salties".
Mike argued that thousand of visitors went to Kakadu, but only two or three died each year in a croc attack. But Mike loved an adventure. He never said no to anything scary.
"I agree", said Nina, who had always been the wild one in the family. "The park authorities take visitor safety seriously. Rangers check for crocs. even by helicopter. They can see them easily in the clear water . David, don't spoil our fun! You're always scared of something. Enjoy yourself more! I always say: No risk, no fun!"
"So they've closed Twin Falls George and a few other places for swimming for no reason, have they? Why do you think there are crocodile warning signs everywhere? Nobody can give you a guarantee that there will be no salties in the area, not even rangers. There are no guarantees", David continued in a serious voice.
"Come on, guys, that's enough. No more arguing. It's NIna's bithday tomorrow, and we're going to have a great time, eh, Nina?", said Mike laughing.
The rest of the day went well. In the evening they celebrated Nina's birthday round a campfire at the campsite. Nina was really happy.
The next day they made the short trip to the famous Jim Jim Falls. Nina wanted to see the beautiful plunge pools. It was hot, and Mike was looking forward to a swim in the cool, clear water. The way there was a difficult climb over rocks. Mike and Nina loved rock climbing, so they soon left the others behind.
Suddenly David noticed that the two had disappeared. Nervously he shouted their names, but they were nowhere. "This is crazy", said David. "We said we would stay all together." Just then David fell and hurt his foot.
Cathy tried to calm him down, but she was worried too. They'll be back soon. We'll just wait here. You can't climb rocks anyway, if your foot hurts. " But after two hours Mike and Nina still hadn't come back. David felt sick with fear. The minutes seemed like hours. The waiting went on...
"Hey, you lazy guys! Where were you? It was great up at the plunge pool!"shouted a familar voice at last. It was Mike. They were back. David threw his arms round his sister. Nina didn't say much...
Safely back home after the trip, whe she was alone with David, Nina said, "David, I have to tell you about what happened up at the falls. A huge saltie suddenly appeared on the edge of the lower pool only ten metres away. I was terrified, Mike too- but he would never admit it. I couldn't move at first, but the croc came closer, so fast. We just dropped our stuff and ran away over the rocks- lucky that salties are bad climbers. We were too scared to go back, so we had to wait until it had gone - the worst two hours of my life. We could both have been eaten alive if we had jumped in the water. I'm so sorry about - you know. You were right - there are no guarantees. And David, please don't tell Mum and Dad...

2. My Summary:

The text is about Nina's birthday trip to Kakadu National Park. Her brother David who has planned this birthday trip and her other friend drive together to the Park. There they celebrate Nina's birthday. Then the next day Nina wants to see the plunge pool. That's why the group climb to the plunge pool. Nina and Mike who are better climber left the group. Afterwards David hurts his foot. He and Cathy are worring where Nina and Mike are. They wait two hours then Nina and Mike come back. Later Nina explains David what happen: When they left David and Cathy, to go to the plunge pool a saltie appears. Both are shock. That's why they climb over the rock and then they wait until the saltie have gone. Then they go back to David and Cathy.

Antworten