Let's speak English here.
Antworten
Shaunee:)
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Looking for some conversation ;)

Beitrag von Shaunee:) »

Huhu^^
Well, yes, actually I´m looking for somebody who would like to start a little conversation. I´m really sorry for my lots of mistakes :rolleyes: Guess, I have to tell a bit about myself :)
Well, the most time I just read. I read The hunger games, HoN (9.), I would be happy If anyone would answer me. :D

Sheep

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz
Muttersprache: de, (pl)

Re: Looking for some conversation ;)

Beitrag von tiorthan »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

First of all, get rid of "well" or at least try to use it less. It's the German's most beloved pet-word, in my experience, and when you are having an oral conversation and you need time to think it's certainly quite the useful tool. But in writing – when you actually have time to think – you can do much better. In fact, it is often sufficient to leave "well" out to improve your sentence.

And, you've made a typically German mistake "the most time". When you'd say "der/die/das meiste(n)" in German the correct English version is "most of the". As a matter of fact, the instances when the and most appear directly after one another are limited to the superlative (e.g. the most interesting thing) where they precede an adjective and to rare cases of "the most" when used without a following noun (e.g. that's the most I can do) and probably some obscure use I don't remember from the top of my head. Neither of these cases however can be translated to "der/die/das meiste(n)" in German.

And now for something completely different:
How do you like the Hunger Games series? Did you read it in English or German or both?
You're never too old to learn something stupid.
MistakeSuggestionYou sure that's right?

Xoowoodo
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: deutsch

Beitrag von Xoowoodo »

First of all, I thougt "HoN" has something to do with Harry Potter, but then I used my brain and I had no idea for what the "o" and "N" stands for. :D
After that, I took a look on the internet and found out that this is a game? Am I right? :D Can you tell me a little bit about that, I am new here and I hope to improve my english! And with talking to me you upgrade (?) your english, too!:D At 4th September I'll travel to NZL for a year to relax after finishing school these days. I'm very happy to fly in a new country, in a new culture, in an new environment. :) Additionally, T have the one possibility to improve my english in an easy way. :)

Ciao!

a_kroe
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: deutsch

Beitrag von a_kroe »

I have read the first book of The hunger games. But in german... I try to read a book in english but it is very difficult for me because i have never really take care in the subject english in the school. I look for every second word in the dictionary concerning this forum and the book i began to read. I hope the sentence i wrote you understanding.

Globetrotterin
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Beitrag von Globetrotterin »

i think reading english literature is quite helpful to get used to the language even when you are not in the country to hear it from natives everyday. when i read my first english book (outside of the class room, i believe it was the 5th book of the harry potter series... quite a challenge, i tell you) i started to look up words too. but i stopped rather quickly with that because there were too many unfamiliar words and it would take me forever to get through one page. that's no fun at all. i promise after some time you will understand what the page is about even when you don't understand every single word. perhaps it is a good idea to start reading an english book that you have already read in german. i find the harry potter books rather have a simple way of writing. or try childrens books first. i can recommend roald dahl's "matilda" or "the witches".

and even if you are not into reading, i'm sure you watch tv shows that are originally from the US or the UK. so why don't you watch those in english? or do you know of a cinema near you that shows movies in the original language? that is also good to improve your level of english! and there you might also find people who want to speak more english ;)

Stormrider
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: German

Beitrag von Stormrider »

Hello all together,

I'm new here and I hope it's okay to make my first post in this thread. I could not find any thread for new members to introduce themselves. So, I just start writing here. :mrgreen: I'm from Mülheim an der Ruhr which is in the Ruhr-Area in Germany and I'm 25 years old

I would like to improve my english. The reasons are different. First I got just the interest to learn more englisch. There are different points of contact with the englisch language in my everyday life. First, my girlfriend is studying english for the elementary school. Maybe someday I will be on an similar level as her. But I think in my case there is still a long way to go. :) A second point of contact could be the music that I'm listening to. I'm a metal fan since 8 or 9 years now and 90% of the lyrics are written and performend in english. It's funny but I learned many things through the music during the last years.

I was searching long for an englisch speaking board were I just could have the chance to use this language instead of forget many things while not using english in my life. :) So, I hope that I'll find many people who do the same and find some interesting conversations and topics to discuss about. I hope my englisch is already good enough for this plattform. I don't mind if someone correct some misstakes that he or she can find in the written text above. I'm sure there are some. But to make them disapear is why I'm here. :wink1:

Sorry for using so much smilys, i'ts a habit. :wink1:

Antworten