Hello from England (via Munich)

Write something about yourself (who you are and where you come from).
Antworten
hertsgirl
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: English (British)

Hello from England (via Munich)

Beitrag von hertsgirl »

Hi!

Advanced:
I've lived in Munich since last September and currently study English language and German at university. I'm originally from a suburban town near London. I am an English native speaker who is fiercely passionate about her mother tongue and informing curious, interested people about it. I am better versed in grammar than the average native speaker, owing to years of Latin grammar being related to English grammar in Latin at school and a bookworm of a dad who ironed out every wrinkle in my grammar as a child. My boyfriend is German native speaking but speaks fluent English; his sister is currently learning English; and I work as an English tutor in a trilingual English-German-Hebrew family. So I am experienced in helping people with English at various different levels.

Above all I abhor business English, and above all I love literary English and regional accent/dialect English. And to those who think slang is a lower form of language: fine, don't use them in essays and official letters, but non-standard words and colloquialisms enrich the language. How dull and prosaic English and other languages would be without them!

Basic:
I've lived in Munich since last September. I currently study English language and German at university. I come from a suburban town near London. I am an English native speaker. I am very passionate about English. I like to teach people English, answer all their questions and help them understand it better. I have a better knowledge of grammar than the average native speaker because my dad successfully tried to perfect my grammar when I was a child.

My boyfriend is a native German speaker and he speaks English fluently. His sister is learning English at school and I work as an English tutor in a family which speaks English, Hebrew and German. So I am experienced in helping people with English at lots of different levels.

My favourite types of English are English in literature, and English regional dialects and accents. I really do not like business English. I think English without slang and local, unusual words would be very very boring!
Annoyingly passionate about my mother tongue. English language and German undergraduate.

Antworten