Let's speak English here.
Antworten
DiamantenFee.
Tongue Twister
Muttersprache: Deutsch

How can I improve my English pronunciation and -

Beitrag von DiamantenFee. »

How can I improve my English pronunciation
and loose the fear to talk in class/ in front of people ?

My English is not that bad and in general I am fluent. Some people even thought that I was a native speaker,
but I think that my pronunciation is not that good. I want to do better, but I don't know how. I watch films/ shows/ news in English, I read English books ... Because of school I do not have the time to skype! But I really would love to pronounce words in this beautiful British- English way. Also I can not speak in front of my class. Like an idiot I start to stammer and forget every rule I've ever learned. Do you have any tips how I can get some self-esteem ? In some situations I am not scared and talk like a normal human, but this are exceptions. I am thankful for every answer! :)

Keswick
English Legend

Re: How can I improve my English pronunciation and -

Beitrag von Keswick »

Well I don't know how old you are and whether you live anywhere near a big city with a university, but most universities have what they call "Sprachstammtische", normally held by both native and non-native speakers. Joining one of those meetings would certainly help you with losing your fear of talking in front of people and improve your pronunciation. Alternatively there are softwares available which record your spoken word and compare them to received pronunciation, giving you a percentage estimate on how close to perfect you are with your pronunciation and what can be done to improve it even further. Unfortunately I have no name for a software like this at hand but maybe someone does?

Most importantly, don't let anyone or anything disencourage you. From what I can read your English grammar and understanding is very good, and that's more than other people can say of themselves :wink: .
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

Astro
Topic Talker
Muttersprache: deutsch

Beitrag von Astro »

Hi,

I can recommend a journey to England, which will help you to speak fluently. I did the same and it helped me but the fear to speak infront of the class is normal. It happens everybody :wink1:

Greetings

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

Astro hat geschrieben:Hi,

I can recommend a journey to England, which will help you to speak fluently. I did the same and it helped me but the fear to speak in front of the class is normal. It happens to everybody :wink1:

Regards

Greetings ist eine Begruessungsformel, keine Abschiedsformel.
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

DiamantenFee.
Tongue Twister

Beitrag von DiamantenFee. »

I am 19 years old and unfortunately I live in a rather small town.
Anyway thank you for the tip - next year I will be ready with school and will move to a bigger city!
There I can look for some "Sprachstammtische"! (:

I searched for some software and found this one "Interaktive Sprachreise V10 von Koch Media GmbH" it seems to be good but also very expensive. But maybe I will buy one - so also thanks for the tip! :)

A journey to England is not that easy for me, especially a long one.
It is expensive and normally I am able to stay maximal two weeks.
Maybe someday, but not now.

:zpop:

Astro
Topic Talker

Beitrag von Astro »

Yeah I believe that. But anyway keep on learning English and it doesn't matter. It happens to everybody and is absolutely normal.

I am a person, who speaks a lot and I am very good at speaking and discussing but sometimes, when I have to speak infront of the class, I am also extremely excited.

Peace

Gamerica
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: malagasy

Beitrag von Gamerica »

Hello,I think you should have more listening exercises;go to :english listening.com .You'll hear american accent and english accent.And if you have the opportunity to talk with english people,it will be really good for your pronociation .It is also important to speak english as much as possible.Don't be afraid,even if you make mistakes,you'll learn the right prononciation by your mistakes.Cheer up!!!

ALangenscheidt
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von ALangenscheidt »

Most of the words here come from native speakers http://www.dict.cc

But who cares about the pronounciation. As long as you dont speak
[fuːd
] when foot is ment, or something like this, everything is fine. Even in England itself are local differences between the pronounciation as you might know. Consider what problems a foreign speaker might have, if he comes from northern Germany to the south :). I am not sure. But I guess you can learn german pronounciation for several months in lets say in Hannover. And you won't understand any word if you go to the south.

But I have to admit, if you like to learn the english "hochdeutsch" pendant (which is maybe oxford englisch?), this might be useful. At least to understand your pronounciation.

regards

Antworten