How to find penpals for language learning?

Alles was zum Lernen gehört.
How to learn effectively.
Antworten
Carj
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: Deutsch

How to find penpals for language learning?

Beitrag von Carj »

I want to search for an English native speaker, who wants to improve her (female preferred) German, for conversation by e-mail, so that we both can benefit from the penpalship. I'm looking for a kind of "old-fashioned" penpal - not by Facebook, Twitter, Skype or similar - just writing e-mails.

I found a lot of penpal internet sites, but I'm not sure wheter these sites are trustable. I'm worried about giving my personal data to a stranger.

Have anybody of you experience with this kind of contact? Where do you find your partner and how to you ensure that he/she is reputable?

Thank you for answers.

Delfino
Anglo Veteran
Muttersprache: German

Re: How to find penpals for language learning?

Beitrag von Delfino »

Carj hat geschrieben:I'm trying to find a preferably female English native speaker, who wants to improve her conversational German by communicating via e-mail.
So that both of us are benefiting from the penpalship.
I'm looking for some kind of "old-fashioned" penpal, who likes to write e-mails and not a connection by Facebook, Twitter, Skype or similar services.

I found a lot of penpal internet sites, but I'm not sure wheter these sites are trustable. I'm worried about giving my personal data to a stranger.

Has anybody of you experience with this kind of contact? Where did you find your partner and how did you ensure that he/she is reputable?

Thank you in advance for your answers.
Being careful with your persanal data is a good start to avoid problems and disapointments.
Although it might seem hard I would start by trying to think about which foreigners need German skills or would appreciate such a connection?

Having a strong motivation is key to a lasting relation.
- native speakers who are already living in Germany (expats) or have definite plans to do so (future exchange students)
- people who study German for school or university
- people with German ancestors

Another important part would be to think about a way that you can meet in the real world.
So that you create a personal connection that is continued later on.
- no problem with current or future exchange students
- travelling to a foreign country could be combined with your "normal" holidays
- reaching out to expats living here
...is supplied without liability.
IELTS 7 Good user: operational command, occasional inaccuracies

Tanya L
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: Russisch

Beitrag von Tanya L »

Hi Carj

I agree with Delfino in that you need people keenly interested in learning German. One of the options is language learning sites like Livemocha, where you'll find dozens of German fans. You'll only have to get to know them a little to figure out those who can spare time writing and correcting lengthy e-mails.

DineD
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: deutsch

Beitrag von DineD »

Hallo!
Kann mir jemand etwas über diese Seite Livemocha sagen?
Die Geschäftsbedingungen sind nur in Englisch und ich bin nicht sicher genug, um alles zu verstehen!
Bin etwas unsicher, was die Kosten angeht. Kostet das was? Oder kosten nur bestimmte Bereiche etwas? Kann man da schnell irgendwo "reintappen" oder wird man gewarnt, bevor man bezahlen muss?
Vielen Dank und liebe Grüße!

Delfino
Anglo Veteran
Muttersprache: German

Beitrag von Delfino »

DineD hat geschrieben:Kann mir jemand etwas über diese Seite Livemocha sagen?
Livemocha offers basic language lessons that are free and contain about 30–50 hours of coursework.

Active Courses are premium lessons offered for at a monthly or yearly subscription fee.

:watch: Wenn du die Terms of Service nicht verstehst solltest du dich auf die Basics beschränken.

1. General
It is your responsibility to regularly check the Site to determine
if there have been changes to these Terms of Service and to review such changes.

5. Fees
You acknowledge that Livemocha.com reserves the right to charge for the Livemocha Services and to change its fees from time to time in its discretion.
At no time will you be charged without your prior knowledge and explicit consent.

9. Storage
LIVEMOCHA, INC reserves the right to modify these general practices and limits from time to time.

...is supplied without liability.
IELTS 7 Good user: operational command, occasional inaccuracies

Antworten