Let's speak English here.
Antworten
emexy
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: deutsch

English-spoken audio books or podcasts

Beitrag von emexy »

Good morning!

At the moment I'm looking for some possibilities improving my English skills. I thought on listening exciting audio books or interesting podcasts spoken in English.

Do you know any free audio material at the world wide web? Which podcasts/audio books are your favourite?

I'm very interested on tech podcasts, for example about new technologies, computer etc. But I need a slow and easy talk, because I want to train my English. Perhaps something just for people who learn English, too.

I hope you understood what I need and can help me.

Greets,

emexy

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz
Muttersprache: de, (pl)

Re: English-spoken audio books or podcasts

Beitrag von tiorthan »

You won't have much luck with tech podcasts, I fear.

A good resource for English learners is http://www.bbc.co.uk/learning/subjects/english.shtml.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.
MistakeSuggestionYou sure that's right?

Delfino
Anglo Veteran
Muttersprache: German

Beitrag von Delfino »

:watch: Remember that your skills will grow over time.
So you may not understand everything the first time you listen to something
but over time you'll get used to the normal speed of speach used by many people.

TED ideas worth spreading
talks by remarkable people, free to the world

http://www.ted.com/talks

Enjoy BBC audio on the move - a wide range of programmes and highlights
http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts

list of resources for free audio books and podcasts
http://www.pickthebrain.com/blog/free-a ... resources/

and be patient with yourself... :zpop:
Zuletzt geändert von Delfino am 29. Mai 2011 13:17, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
...is supplied without liability.
IELTS 7 Good user: operational command, occasional inaccuracies

Delfino
Anglo Veteran

Beitrag von Delfino »

emexy hat geschrieben:Good morning!

At the moment I'm looking for some possibilities to improve my English skills.
I thought about listening to exciting audio books or interesting podcasts spoken in English.

Do you know any free audio material on the world wide web?
Which podcasts/audio books are your favourites?

I'm very interested in tech podcasts, for example about new technologies, computer etc.
But I need a slow and easy talks, because I want to train my English.
Perhaps something just for people who learn English, too.

I hope you understand what I need and you can help me.

Greetings,

emexy

emexy
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: deutsch

Beitrag von emexy »

Thank you very much for your help.

The best podcast I found was the program called "6 minutes English" created by BBC. Really clear and slow speech. And it's made for people who want to improve their skills.

Do you think videos/films are more usefull because the language is supported by pictures? Maybe with subtitles? Or Is reading of English words more important than listen of spoken English?

I think the mix of both is the best way to practice the understanding skills. What do you think?

Regards,

emexy

Delfino
Anglo Veteran

Beitrag von Delfino »

emexy hat geschrieben:Do you think videos/films are more useful because the language is supported by pictures?
Maybe with subtitles? Or is reading of English words more important than listening to spoken English?

I think, the mix of both is the best way to practice your skills of understanding English. What do you think?
It is rather normal that you can more easily follow a video or film because the visual information add a new dimension of context.

I agree, a mix of reading and listening (or watching) is the best way to practice your skills of understanding English.
But you shouldn't forget to practise the active use of English (writing and speaking).

It is important to keep track of what you want to achive and what you are doing to get there.
i.e. you want to improve your listenig skills to understand English spoken at normal speed

Although you might feel that subtitles help you to understand what is being said in a video but I'm not a supporter of this method
because you are not really forced to concentrate your attention on listening carefully when you can just read the subtitles
you need to keek pin mind that the visual information is already a big advantage compared to an exam situation.

Therefore I'd say that podcasts are the best training to prepare yourself for a challenging listening test.
But you should be aware that most people you come across in real life or on the phone
don't speak as clearly or slowly as the podcast / news presenter or person presenting a talk in front of a crowd.

A mix of videos and films can give you a more realistic impression of English spoken at normal speed.

:watch: Listening to podcasts and watching videos or fims supports the conventional key strategies (memorising new vocabulary and grammar rules)
but it cannot replace them.
But I need slow and easy talks, because I want to train my English.
:watch: The skills of understanding English spoken at normal speed
can be acquired only through practice in listening to English spoken at normal speed.

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz
Muttersprache: de, (pl)

Beitrag von tiorthan »

But I need slow and easy talks, because I want to train my English.
:watch: The skills of understanding English spoken at normal speed
can be acquired only through practice in listening to English spoken at normal speed.
I second that. English is often very different when spoken at normal speeds. A whole lot of ugly (for learners) changes are applied to some words to make them blend in with the flow of words, the most harmless of which are assimilations (meaning that one sound becomes similar to an adjecent sound). Sometimes even whole words or phrases get changed or left out altogether.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.
MistakeSuggestionYou sure that's right?

Isaac
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: English

Beitrag von Isaac »

Hello, I know this is old but actually my podcast may be perfect for you.
1) I have quite a few podcasts about technology. http://englischaktuell.de/category/technologie/
2) each article is read slowly and then at normal speed, so will help you practice.
Hope that helps.
Isaac.

Antworten