Rock / Metal talk

Let's speak English here.
Antworten
$pidermonkey
Frequent Typer

Rock / Metal talk

Beitrag von $pidermonkey »

Hello all!

I'd like to talk about music, more specifically rock/metal music. I hope it fits into this section of the forum, but as long as it's English, I don't think there will be a problem.

So if you like rock or metal, what are your favourite bands?
Du bist Herr deiner Worte, doch, einmal gesprochen, beherrschen sie dich.

Nynaeve
Tongue Twister
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Beitrag von Nynaeve »

@ $pidermonkey:

I'm a newbie on this board! I want to improve my English.

The first I realized, was your Rock/Metal-Thread, so I decided to post here... I don´t know, too, if this thread fits in here, but - hey! - you can see it that way: We improve our English, so it can´t be forbidden! :D

My favourite metal bands are:

- Eisregen (german band, most people might say, their lyrics are disgusting, but I LOVE THEM)
- Finntroll
- Arcturus
- Borknagar
- Marilyn Manson
- Rammstein
- Dimmu Borgir

Ok, I listen to much more bands, but I am not really a "fan", if you know what I mean!?
Black Metal, something like folk- or viking-metal (Finntroll)...
Marilyn Manson....*cough*... :oops: , I'm not a "-Manson-fan", but I think his music is GREAT. Even if people think, he´s crazy, disgusting, extravagant (he really is), in my opinion his work is very good!

Oops, I think, for my first post here, it´s a little too much... Hope, my English isn´t too bad! (If there are big mistakes, please tell me! Won´t die dumb - haha!)

Nynaeve
My Preciousssss!

$pidermonkey
Frequent Typer

Hey Nynaeve,

I'm glad someone decided to answer here. :wink:

I don't like Black or Viking Metal that much, some bands like Bathory (inventors of Viking Metal) are okay, but I prefer and Doom Metal, Power Metal and Heavy Metal in general.

I know Eisregen, I like the songs "Scharlachrotes Kleid" and "Die schwarze Rose", which are the songs in which the singer doesn't scream as much as in the others. Their lyrics are rather disgusting, but since they are hardly understandable because of the way he sings them, it doesn't matter that much.

I'm sorry, but I dislike Marilyn Manson... But since you seem to like him, I don't want to say too much about him now. :angel:

Nynaeve
Tongue Twister

Beitrag von Nynaeve »

Oh, a reply... nice...

Just arrived home from work (first day after 3 weeks WITHOUT work)... :freak2:

$, you know Eisregen, that´s cool! "Scharlachrotes Kleid" is one of my favourite songs, too. (But definitely not the only one!) :roll1:
I wouldn´t say that the lyrics are hardly understandable... if you´ve got a little bit of practice, it´s not such a big problem.
Anyway...

Ouch, I have to confess that I don´t know any song of Bathory...

Metallica? Come on, I KNOW, you like ´em!?! I don´t know the new stuff; the last album I bought, is Re-Load. But in my opinion, their older stuff is very good.

I think, you needn´t apologize for disliking something/somebody (I´m not sure, if this is the correct expression!)... It´s your opinion and that´s ok. So... tell me what you think! At least, as long as I´m the only one that´s getting on your nerves in this thread... :evil:

Well... I seem to need a lot of words.... Hope, that doesn´t scare anybody!? ("What the :censored:...? She´s writing... and writing... and no one wants to read...")

*cough* :oops:

Nynaeve
My Preciousssss!

$pidermonkey
Frequent Typer

Hmm, I don't like Metallica that much. I quite like their slower songs and ballads, such as Nothing else matters, The unforgiven pt. I & II and Fade to black.
But I don't like the Thrash Metal ones, such as Master of Puppets, Seek and destroy etc.
As to the new stuff, I don't like it, apart from St. Anger, which can be okay if you are in an aggressive mood.

What I think about Manson is that he tries to gain popularity by showing up his extraordinary outfit. I think his music is nothing special, that's why he needs to get attraction with his looks. A bit like Alice Cooper, in a way...

rauchman
Tongue Twister

Beitrag von rauchman »

Metallica aren't cool anymore. They were, in a way, at least until they released their commercially successful album "Metallica".

I saw the "S&M"-DVD a few days ago and didn't like it much. It's much more mainstream-pop than rock or heavy metal.

In a documentary about British pop music in nineties Jarvis Cocker, the singer of Pulp said "There was lots of weird things going on. There was, like, this bloke...There was this bloke who dressed... The bottom half of him was female and the top half was male. Er, he was quite strange. He gave us some wood for a bonfire once." :P

However, I'm not too much in Rock or Heavy. I like what the Rolling Stone magazine once called "serious pop music"...Oasis are the best band in the world :freu:

Patrick
'cos i've been standing at the station | in need of education in the rain

Nynaeve
Tongue Twister

Morgul...

Beitrag von Nynaeve »

Nah... $pidermonkey, in another forum i read your opinion about the bands I mentioned above... so I needn´t ask more.
But... when I look at that other forum, I wonder why you´ve got the need to talk about music in this forum, too! :wink: (This, that.... don´t know if I used the right words! :oops: )
You seem to be VERY interested in music!

Yesterday I heard (once again) Morgul´s song "Ballad Of Revolt" - does anybody know their album "Parody Of The Mass" (1998)? Are the other songs on this album similar to "Ballad Of Revolt"?? :question:
Well, I guess, I´ll buy the album...

N.
My Preciousssss!

$pidermonkey
Frequent Typer

Re: Morgul...

Nynaeve hat geschrieben:Nah... $pidermonkey, in another forum i read your opinion about the bands I mentioned above... so I needn´t ask more.
But... when I look at that other forum, I wonder why you´ve got the need to talk about music in this forum, too! :wink: (This, that.... don´t know if I used the right words! :oops: )
You seem to be VERY interested in music!
Yes, I am indeed very interested in music. It's my biggest hobby.
In what forum did you read my opinions? musik4fun?
I just thought I'd talk about some cool music in here, to speak some English. :wink:

Nynaeve
Tongue Twister

Beitrag von Nynaeve »

:freu: Yessss...
Music 4 Fun! It was only a coincidence that I found it...

Don´t get me wrong... I like the idea of starting a thread like this!
If music is your biggest hobby... do YOU know the album "Parody for the mass" (see above)?
And do you make music yourself??

Let me see.... you didn´t tell us so far which bands YOU LIKE!
(Ok, I could search through the whole "Music 4 Fun"-Forum, but.... NO!

N.
My Preciousssss!

$pidermonkey
Frequent Typer

Parody for the mass by whom?
Yes, I make music myself, I play the drums. I've played drums for 2 years now I think, it's really cool.

Yeah, my favourite bands are Anathema, Opeth and Katatonia. I like a lot more, like Iron Maiden, but those are my favourites.

Nynaeve
Tongue Twister

Beitrag von Nynaeve »

Parody for the mass by whom?
I wrote "see above". So.... See above? :lol:
"Parody for the mass" by Morgul!

Your favourite bands.... well, I know their names! But the music... haven´t heard it yet (Except Iron Maiden - my boyfriend likes them. I don´t like I. M. that much.).
My Preciousssss!

Sandi
Topic Talker
Muttersprache: deutsch

Beitrag von Sandi »

Hello @ all :big_thumb:

I'm almost new here and I share your love for the music.
I like the most, Rockmusic, Metal, heavy Metal, Alternative and others .

But before I begin, first a litte bit about myself:

I am 24 years old, I'm learning english at school (evenging school .. I don't know if this is the right word) for my job. I work as a secretary for CEO and I do need englisch very often .. almost every day, and therefor I need to improve it pretty much.
My biggest problems are the word order (in a sentence) and also the tenses. I learn almost every day ... but I need more colloquially practice.

Well ... I think this should be enough for the beginning :P

My favorite bands are:

Korn
Metallica
Guns'n Roses (old but still good)
Nirvana (old but still good)
Slipknot
Mudvain
Disturbed
Creed
Rage against the machine
Machinehead
System of a dawn
Limp Bizkit
Alannis Morisette
Red hot chilli peppers
.. and much more ...

older stuff like
Supertramp
Led Zeppelin
Tracy Chapman

I sometimes also hear Marilyn Manson. Of course I do not understand every song from the beginning to the end ...
First of all I hear the music and then I hear ... or better saying, try to hear what they sing.

I'm glad about this forum ... it's very helpful and interesting.

Hope to read more from you :wink:

Greetings
Sandi

$pidermonkey
Frequent Typer

Hey Sandi!

Welcome to this place! I think this forum will help you improve your English. You can also ask questions in the other areas, and experst will try to help you.

I like some of the bands you posted, especially Creed. They are one of the best rock bands in my opinion. I really like One, One last breath, My own prison, Higher, My sacrifice and With arms wide open. The others are good, too, apart from the heaviest songs like Bullets.

I also like Disturbed sometimes, but I need to be in the mood for them. My favourite songs are Liberate, Breathe, Stupefy and Down with the sickness. I think they are a great band to listen to at parties or clubs.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers are quite good, too. I think their drummer is one of the best drummers in modern rock. They are really inventive and superb to chill out to. My favourites here are Californication, Can't stop, By the way and Other side.

I don't know much by Tracy Chapman, just Talkin' about a revolution and Broken, but I really like them.

P.S.: If I may give you a tip, you wouldn't say "I hear Marilyn Manson", you'd say "I listen to Marilyn Manson". "To hear" implies that you hear it accidentally, "to listen" includes that you want to hear it. :wink:

Hope to hear from you soon. :)

Sandi
Topic Talker
Muttersprache: deutsch

Beitrag von Sandi »

Good morning Spidermonkey :)

thank you for your quick reply.

Generally I'm always interested in getting tips and corrections :D
Only on that way (soll heissen, nur so) I can learn it correctly.

I could listen to Tracy Chapman almost every time ... wheter I'm in a good or in a bad mood.
It calms me completely but sometimes I need a bit more acrimony.
When I'm listening some of my crazy songs ... I can behave in a pretty strange way. You can imagine that I leap through my living room and ... well ... act crazy :lol:

Best it is when I'm by myself ... the best for me and my fellow men *cough*

Hope to hear from you soon
bye Sandi
Der Körper ist der Übersetzer der Seele ins Sichtbare.

$pidermonkey
Frequent Typer

Sandi hat geschrieben:When I'm listening some of my crazy songs ... I can behave in a pretty strange way. You can imagine that I leap through my living room and ... well ... act crazy :lol:
Hehe, well, sometimes that is necessary. :wink:
As long as you don't destroy things, it goes all right, I guess. :P

Antworten