Holidays

Where everybody can talk about anything. Slang is welcome and even encouraged.
Antworten
Keswick
English Legend
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Holidays

Beitrag von Keswick »

Hi all,

Let's talk about holidays :spin: .

In the last five(-odd) years I never really made it out of the country - apart from the occasional trip to Scotland or to see my family in Germany - and I really (I mean REALLY) need a holiday.

I am currently raiding the internet, looking for affordable deals, preferably all-inclusive, somewhere where it's warm and not too humid.
We're planning to go on a holiday at the end of September, for about 10 days.

Do you guys have any recommendations? I am not particularly interested in specific hotels, rather in countries. We were looking at Malta, but it's quite pricy, same goes for Greece. I am not a big fan of "lively resorts", i.e. lots of party and children, like Benidorm or "Schinkenstrasse".

Budget-wise.. not sure, let's say a maximum of £400-500 per person incl. flight and transfer. The cheaper the better.

So if you have any ideas and don't mind sharing them, I am waiting ;) .

Cheers!
Keswick
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

Keswick
English Legend

Re: Holidays

Beitrag von Keswick »

We found something! 10 days in Alcudia, Majorca, all inclusive.

I have read some reviews and they were quite.. how do I put it.. nationally diverse :roll: . The Germans seem to hate the place, saying it's overpopulated with Brits, the food's bad and the entertainment for the children is only in English. The British reviews however were a lot better... probably because the place is full of Brits and British food. Well, since I live in a place full of Brits :mrgreen: , I like English food and I don't see a problem with English entertainment (neither for children nor for adults) I should be alright.

:freu:

~ CLOSED ~

Duckduck
Anglo Master

Beitrag von Duckduck »

Hi, dear Keswick,

I'm delighted you've found something! I have been thinking about answering all the time but my one and only idea would have been: Try England!!! (I'm told it's full of Brits and English food and entertainment, you know... :lol: :big_thumb:) But I did feel you might just think it a bit.. shall we say...dreich (Scottish for dull, just looked it up!). So I kept quiet. Say hello to the island for me. Never been there, Duckducks don't speak Spanish...

All the best

THE DUCK
Mein Farbcode für Korrekturen:
Fehler / Stil/Ausdruck / Anmerkung

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

You know what Duckduck, that's exactely what my brother said. He said "Why don't you try the rest of England, I am sure it's warm in the South" :shock: .. well he's got a point, although the South is only warmER. But Majorca.. an average of 26 degrees during the day, 18 degrees at night... we don't even get 18 degrees on a day :( .

It's so unreal though. My first beach holiday in many many moons :freu: .

Chloe
Frequent Typer
Muttersprache: Russisch

Beitrag von Chloe »

Hello all ( Do people greet each other in this way? I always wanted to ask what I should write after the word Hello in this case,),

Keswick, I was thinking of your question as well. I really wanted to give you some tips, but you were quicker than me. You made a good choice! :freu: Majorca is such a wonderful island!!! I would recommend you to go to Valldemossa! It's so beautiful there!!!!!!!!

Best wishes,
Chloe

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

Hi Chloe,

Of course you can say or write "hello all" when addressing more than one person :) .

I have heard lots of good things about Majorca, unfortunately some bad things as well. But then again I am not planning to go to Palma. Our plane goes to Palma Airport but we'll get on a shuttle bus to Acudia, not stopping anywhere near Schinkenstrasse or whatever it's called. I saw some images of Acudia's old town and it looks beautiful :) . And the hotel is only 15 mins walk from the beach.

Kind regards,
Keswick

BernhardKuderer
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von BernhardKuderer »

Hello folks today it is the first time i am on this page.

So you talk about holidays.

This year i go on a boattrip to the eastsee in germany. We rent a big yacht whit my friends a drive one week in the see. So does anybody do a boattrip in the past. Was it nice ore borring?.

Delfino
Anglo Veteran
Muttersprache: German

Beitrag von Delfino »

BernhardKuderer hat geschrieben:Hello folks,
Today it is the first time I am on this page.

So you talk about holidays.

This year I will go on a boat trip to the Baltic Sea in Germany.
We've rented a big yacht together with my friends and we will spend about one week at sea.
So, did anybody else go on a boat trip in the past?
Was it a nice or a rather borring experience?.
You made a lot of little mistakes. So please take some time to review you text before posting it here next time.
...is supplied without liability.
IELTS 7 Good user: operational command, occasional inaccuracies

smile
Slow Speller
Muttersprache: deutsch

Beitrag von smile »

Hi Keswick

I think, you made good choice. I've been to Majorca several times and I don't like "Schinkenstrasse" or whatever it's called. The island is as diverse as you can think of and we always found a nice place to relax. I would recommend to rent a car and then just have a look yourself how lovely the island is.

Nice holiday,

smile:)

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

Thank you smile!

A couple of people have told us to hire a car so I think we'll go for it. Schinkenstrasse or Ballermann or whatever it's called is something I much rather stay away from. All I want is a relaxing holiday in the sun and from what I have heard the weather is still quite warm in September. Well everywhere is warmer than the Scottish borders in September :P .

Antworten