The points of the compass in English
|NNE||North North East|
|ENE||East North East|
|ESE||East South East|
|SSE||South South East|
|SSW||South South West|
|WSW||West South West|
|WNW||West North West|
|NNW||North North West|
We capitalize the points of a compass when we speak about a special region (1) or when it's a proper noun (6).
- Dover lies in the South of England.
- The Shetland islands are North of Scotland.
- The wind is coming from the north.
- The sun rises in the east and sets in the west.
- Canada lies to the north of the USA.
- Amundsen reached the South Pole in 1911.