How many times?

Where everybody can talk about anything. Slang is welcome and even encouraged.
Antworten
andy55
Topic Talker
Muttersprache: Deutsch

How many times?

Beitrag von andy55 »

How many time do you invest to learn English every day? I mean on average?
I learn approximately three to fours every day.
Wednesday is the day where the course takes place. On this day the course takes aproximately two and a half hour and before the course starts and after the course I learn it too.
In average I learn about 30 hours a week.

Delfino
Anglo Veteran
Muttersprache: German

Re: How many times?

Beitrag von Delfino »

andy55 hat geschrieben:How much time do you invest to learn English every day?
I mean on average?

I learn approximately three to fours every day.
Wednesday is the day the course takes place.
On the day the course takes place approximately two and a half hour before the course starts and after the course I learn English too.
On average, I learn about 30 hours a week.
It may be time you find opportunities to use your skills in real life.

- writing texts in English and let them be checked (here or elsewhere)
- speaking with native speakers of English (who want to learn German)
- reading English newspapers and books (many are available online too)
- listening to English audio books and watching English news (BBC) and movies etc. (without German subtitles)

Remember to ask for corrections and feedback.
Exercise all four language skills (writing, speaking, reading, listening) regularly.

Suche im Forum
search.php?keywords=lernen+pro+tag&terms=all
...is supplied without liability.
IELTS 7 Good user: operational command, occasional inaccuracies

andy55
Topic Talker

Beitrag von andy55 »

Thank you for your suggestions. Some of them I practise every day for example:
Watching BBC, specially the News, Aljazerra Channel, BBC entertainment. I have the printings of the ministerial debate and I have recorded these show.
:roll:
Your second point affected (concerned) the following:
Speaking with native speakers of English (who want to learn German)
I agree with you on that point but this is really a big problem for myself, because I did not found anyone who talk to me in English. I would prefer to talk with native speaker.

But the oral speaking is an another problem. No one in my family, neither my parents nor my wife can speak English. I can talk to myself but was it right or wrong?
It is difficult to make really proceedings without the English speaking counterpart.

But also I would to thank by everybody of you, for your suggestions and your tips.
:P

Delfino
Anglo Veteran

Beitrag von Delfino »

andy55 hat geschrieben:Thank you for your suggestions.
I already practise some of them every day, for example:
Some of them are already practised by me every day, for example:

- watching the BBC, specially the BBC News, Aljazerra Channel, BBC entertainment
I have the transcript of the ministerial debate and I have recorded the show.
I have a printout of the transcript of the ministerial debate and I have recorded this show.
I have a printed copy of the transcript of the ministerial debate and I have recorded these shows.

In regard to your second hint:
- speaking with native speakers of English (who want to learn German)
I agree with you on that point but this is really a big problem for me, because I did not yet find anyone who wants to talk to me in English.
I would prefer to talk with a native speaker.
I would prefer to talk with native speakers.

The oral communication is the same big problem.
Therefore speaking is another big problem.
No-one in my family, neither my parents nor my wife can speak English.
I can talk to myself but was it right or wrong?
It is difficult to make real progress without an English speaking counterpart.

I would like to thank everyone of you for your suggestions, your hints and your tips.
Suche: englischer Stammtisch [your town]
http://www.google.de/search?q=englischer+stammtisch

Suche: English conversation groups Germany
http://www.google.de/search?q=english+c ... ps+germany

andy55
Topic Talker

Beitrag von andy55 »

Thank you very much :wink:

snarly
Frequent Typer

Beitrag von snarly »

Hey guys!

@andy55: I find it good that you invest a lot of you time in learning English (ich hoffe, dass dieser Satz richtig ist).
How old are you and why do you spend so much time learning English? - I mean 30 hours a week is quite a lot!

@Delfino: Thanks for your suggestions! - How much time did you invest in learning English before you moved to England?

Peace,
snarly!

Delfino
Anglo Veteran

Beitrag von Delfino »

snarly hat geschrieben:Hey guys!

@andy55:
I think it's good that you invest a lot of your time in learning English. (Ich hoffe, dass dieser Satz richtig ist)
How old are you and why do you spend so much time learning English? - I mean 30 hours a week is quite a lot!

@Delfino:
Thank you for your suggestions! - How much time did you invest in learning English before you moved to England?

Peace,
snarly!
Well, it's hard to estimate
how much time one would need to reach a level that suits the needs.
It mainly depends on your ability to process and pick-up information,
the efficiency of your learning technique and many other factors.
So comparing yourself with others isn't always the optimal way.

But I can tell you it took several years with daily effort.

snarly
Frequent Typer

Beitrag von snarly »

Hi Delfino!
Delfino hat geschrieben:
But I can tell you it took several years with daily effort.
Well, I have been learning English at school for 7 year but it just lacks in experience.
I know the English grammar very well, I guess, but I often run out of words.

Peace,
snarly!

Delfino
Anglo Veteran

Beitrag von Delfino »

Delfino hat geschrieben: But I can tell you it took me several years with daily effort.
snarly hat geschrieben:Hi Delfino!

Well, I have been learning English at school for 7 years but I just lacks in experience.
I know the English grammar very well, I guess, but I often run out of words.

Peace,
snarly!

Waluigifan
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von Waluigifan »

This may sound strange to other people, but I don't invest that much time in learning English. I just post into an English Forum every day, and I'm also running an English blog to promote my music albums. I also upload English YouTube Videos.

I don't know why, but my English acknowledge suddenly improved in the 10th class of middle school, maybe because of the good teaching skills of my old English teacher. That's why I do not have to learn English every day. However, I sometimes need a revision into grammar and I'm sure I make mistakes in English every day. :lol: (and I'm sure there are mistakes in this text, lol)

You'll be on the safe side in every English Forum if you put this into your signature:
Sorry for any grammar mistakes, but English is not my mother tongue!! Normally I speak German. Please contact me if you find any mistakes in my texts, like grammar mistakes, unclear essays or simple spelling mistakes. Thank you!
Unfortunately no one sent me a PM or an E-Mail because of my mistakes, so it's sometimes hard to improve my English skills. :question:

EDIT: Ah, I forgot! I also listen to English music and try to understand what the artists are singing (fortunately, I understand pretty much). There are also the normal school lessens (4 hours/week, advanced course).
"You know what they say, all toasters toast toast!"
- Mario, Hotel Mario

Delfino
Anglo Veteran

Beitrag von Delfino »

Waluigifan hat geschrieben:This may sound strange to other people, but I don't invest that much time in learning English.
I just post in an English Forum every day, and I'm also running an English blog to promote my music albums.
I also upload English videos to YouTube.

So what? You are not learning English daily. Neither did I for the last 20 years. :D
But there is a huge difference between the people who are actively seeking to improve their skills and your approach.
You are just maintaining your level by using your skills. Although you may improve sligthly over a (much) longer period of time.
But it is most noticable that you have great confidence and are able to understand and use English despite of your mistakes.

I don't know why, but my English knowledge suddenly improved during the 10th grade of school.
The main reason for this might be the good teaching skills of my old English teacher.
I guess, that's why I do not have to learn English every day.
However, I sometimes need a revision of grammar and I'm sure I make mistakes in English every day. :lol:
(and I'm sure there are mistakes in this text too) lol

What is so funny about your mistakes?

You'll be on the safe side in every English forum if you put this into your signature:
I'm sorry for any grammar mistakes, but English is not my mother tongue! I'm a native speaker of German.
Please contact me if you find any mistakes in my texts, e.g. grammar mistakes, unclear expressions and
even
simple spelling mistakes. Thank you!
Unfortunately no-one ever sent me a PM or an e-mail because of my mistakes.
So it's sometimes hard to improve my English skills.

I guess, people do not take you very serious, because you didn't even take the time to check your signature for mistakes.

EDIT:
Ah, I forgot to mention something!
I also listen to English music and try to understand what the artists are singing about.
Fortunately, I understand pretty much.
I also attend the normal English lessons at school (4 hours/week, advanced course).

choccy_hobnob
Frequent Typer
Muttersprache: English

Beitrag von choccy_hobnob »

Unfortunately, no-one has ever sent me a PM or an e-mail because of my mistakes.
So it's sometimes hard to improve my English skills.

I guess, people do not take you very seriously, because you didn't even take the time to check your signature for mistakes.
Come on, Delfino - that's a bit harsh, isn't it? I wouldn't say that there are any "mistakes" in the signature at all! The only part of the original signature that I would have changed would have been the word "essays", which is, admittedly, a slightly awkward word choice, but nonetheless not really a heinous grammatical error! Anyway, the whole point of the signature is to make it clear that his English isn't perfect yet, so an attitude of "You've made mistakes so I'm not going to correct any of your mistakes!" strikes me as slightly unlikely! I think it's probably more likely that people don't want to upset or offend Waluigifan by being overly critical of his mistakes (especially since the grammatical capabilities of the average native speaker aren't really much to write home about!). Either that, or they're just too lazy to bother!
EDIT:
Ah, I forgot to mention something!
I also listen to English music and try to understand what the artists are singing about.
Fortunately, I understand pretty much everything.
Ich würde mich sehr darüber freuen, wenn ihr mich auf alle Deutschfehler aufmerksam machen würdet!

Delfino
Anglo Veteran

Beitrag von Delfino »

@choccy_hobnob
Thank you for correcting my mistakes.

:zzz:

@Waluigifan
Sorry, I was a bit sleepy and moody yesterday.

Gamerica
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: malagasy

Beitrag von Gamerica »

hello,I learn english during two hour every day except Wednesday.I know it's not enough but what can I do?I've got to study other subjects and do the house chores!!

Delfino
Anglo Veteran

Beitrag von Delfino »

Gamerica hat geschrieben:Hello,
I learn English for two hours every day - except on Wednesdays.
I know, it's not enough, but what can I do?
I've got to study for other subjects too and do the household chores!

Antworten