Alles zur englischen Grammatik.
How to deal with English grammar.
Antworten
edmont
Story Teller
Muttersprache: English

an instance of bei

Beitrag von edmont »

I'm not clear if Carl was stating something about the intellectuals, the middle class, and the proletariat (English translation #1 below), or if he was stating something among them, to them (English translation #2 below).

Doch überrascht, daß Carl das Bedürfnis nach einem erneuerten 'Geistesleben' weniger bei Intellektuellen oder im Bürgertum, sondern beim Proletariat konstatierte.

1) Yet, surprisingly, Carl stated the need for a renewed ‘spiritual life’ less with regard to intellectuals or the middle class than in relation to the proletariat.

2) Yet, surprisingly, Carl stated the need for a renewed ‘spiritual life’ less to/among intellectuals or the middle class than to/among the proletariat.

I also don't know if "konstatiert" should be translated above as "stated" rather than one of the other available translations.

Thanks for any help.

Duckduck
Anglo Master
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Re: an instance of bei

Beitrag von Duckduck »

edmont hat geschrieben: I'm not clear if Carl was stating something about the intellectuals, the middle class, and the proletariat (English translation #1 below), or if he was stating something among them, to them (English translation #2 below).

Doch überrascht, daß Carl das Bedürfnis nach einem erneuerten 'Geistesleben' weniger bei Intellektuellen oder im Bürgertum, sondern beim Proletariat konstatierte.

1) Yet, surprisingly, Carl stated the need for a renewed ‘spiritual life’ less with regard to intellectuals or the middle class than in relation to the proletariat.

2) Yet, surprisingly, Carl stated the need for a renewed ‘spiritual life’ less to/among intellectuals or the middle class than to/among the proletariat.

I also don't know if "konstatiert" should be translated above as "stated" rather than one of the other available translations.

Thanks for any help.
Hi edmont, ich gebe Dir jetzt mal eine Paraphrase und Du setzt sie dann in schönes Englisch um, ja?! :mrgreen:

Also: Carl hat sich damit beschäftigt, welcher Teil der Bevölkerung wohl das Bedürfnis nach einem erneuerten Geisteleben verspüren mag. Und zu seiner und der allgemeinen Verwunderung hat sich herausgestellt, dass dieses Bedürfnis nicht bei den Intellektuellen oder dem Bürgertum am stärksten war, sondern bei dem Proletariat.

-> konstatieren = feststellen, also nach der Beschäftigung mit einer Frage zu einem Ergebnis kommen
-> Bedürfnis nach erneuertem Geistesleben ist bei Intellektuellen und im Bürgertum geringer, am stärksten ist es beim Proletariat ausgeprägt.

Hoffentlich hilft das schon?!

Grüße
Duckduck
Mein Farbcode für Korrekturen:
Fehler / Stil/Ausdruck / Anmerkung

edmont
Story Teller
Muttersprache: English

Re: an instance of bei

Beitrag von edmont »

Hi Duckduck, thanks! :D

If I'm not mistaken, you are saying that

1) Carl himself was also surprised (I'm not yet clear how the sentence says that...)

2) konstatierte here means "established or determined" that a need existed

3) bei here can mean "among"

Thus (not in beautiful English yet, I'm first working on understanding):

Yet it surprises, that Carl determined that the need for a renewed ‘spiritual life’ existed less among intellectuals or the middle class than among the proletariat.

I wonder if this also is possible:

Yet it surprises that Carl perceived the need for a renewed ‘spiritual life’ less among intellectuals or the middle class than among the proletariat.

Are you translating überrrascht as past participle? I've been guessing rather that it is present tense 3rd person...

Antworten