Alles zur englischen Grammatik.
How to deal with English grammar.
Antworten
edmont
Story Teller
Muttersprache: English

question on a sentence using separable prefix "auf"

Beitrag von edmont »

In diesem Kontext drängen sich die Argumente, blitzt die Bildhaftigkeit der Sprache, die sich bis zur polemischen Spitze steigert, besonders eindringlich auf.

Does the separable prefix "auf" at the end of the above sentence simultaneously refer back to all three verbs, drängen, blitz, and steigert?  (My guess: it refers back only to drängen and blitz, not to steigert.) 

Thank you for any assistance. 

Duckduck
Anglo Master
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Re: question on a sentence using separable prefix "auf"

Beitrag von Duckduck »

edmont hat geschrieben: In diesem Kontext drängen sich die Argumente, blitzt die Bildhaftigkeit der Sprache, die sich bis zur polemischen Spitze steigert, besonders eindringlich auf.

Does the separable prefix "auf" at the end of the above sentence simultaneously refer back to all three verbs, drängen, blitz, and steigert?  (My guess: it refers back only to drängen and blitz, not to steigert.) 

Thank you for any assistance. 
And right you are, edmont. :freu: :spin:

We have "aufblitzen" and "aufdrängen" but not "aufsteigern" in German. And what's more, the predicate in the relative cause (which refers to "Bildhaftigkeit der Sprache") doesn't belong to the main clause.

Have a nice weekend! :prost:

Duckduck
Mein Farbcode für Korrekturen:
Fehler / Stil/Ausdruck / Anmerkung

edmont
Story Teller

Beitrag von edmont »

Duckduck, thank you for the explanation!

I thought the predicate referred back to "Sprache," not "Bildhaftigkeit der Sprache."

Thus I got

In this context the arguments come to the fore in an especially forceful way and pictorial expressions flash strongly in the language, which rises to a polemical peak.

In diesem Kontext drängen sich die Argumente, blitzt die Bildhaftigkeit der Sprache, die sich bis zur polemischen Spitze steigert, besonders eindringlich auf.

Could the "pictoriality of the language" [Bildhaftigkeit der Sprache] rise to a polemical peak?  I guess it could.  But could it be that the writer was referring mainly or only to Sprache, not to the Bildhaftigkeit der Sprache?

You have a great weekend too, Duckduck!

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz
Muttersprache: de, (pl)

Beitrag von tiorthan »

edmont hat geschrieben:  But could it be that the writer was referring mainly or only to Sprache, not to the Bildhaftigkeit der Sprache?
That's how I read it.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.
MistakeSuggestionYou sure that's right?

edmont
Story Teller

Beitrag von edmont »

Thank you, tiorthan!

Antworten