Alles zur englischen Grammatik.
How to deal with English grammar.
Antworten
edmont
Story Teller
Muttersprache: English

seeking help with meaning of "an demjenigen" in a sentence

Beitrag von edmont »

The two words highlighted in red are what I'm mainly struggling with.

Mit dem Begriff des Mehrwerts umschreibt der Proletarier das einzige Verhältnis, das er zur bürgerlichen Kultur haben kann: "Er produzierte an demjenigen, was dieses Kulturgut kostete, er produzierte für andere Mehrwert, das allein verstand er."

I wonder if "an demjenigen" should be "an denjenigen"? -- But either way, I don't understand how those two words work, what they mean, in this sentence.  Thank you for any assistance.

Adrox98
Topic Talker
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Re: seeking help with meaning of "an demjenigen" in a sentence

Beitrag von Adrox98 »

Yes, it must be "denjenigen". I think it was a misspelling. The subordinate clause after "Er produzierte an demjenigen", shows who is meant with "denjenigen". He produces for the person which paid for the cultural asset. "an" means that the cultural asset goes to this person.

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz
Muttersprache: de, (pl)

Beitrag von tiorthan »

Adrox98 hat geschrieben: Yes, it must be "denjenigen" ... "an" means that the cultural asset goes to this person.
I have to disagree with that.

The "an" in this instance marks value not direction. Thus "denjenigen" would be plural while "demjenigen" is singular which is what is meant here.

Now, I lack a bit of context here, I think, but this reads as if what is meant here is:

He produced of "it" what the cultural asset is worth, he produced additional value for other, that alone he understood.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.
MistakeSuggestionYou sure that's right?

Adrox98
Topic Talker

Beitrag von Adrox98 »

The "an" in this instance marks value not direction. Thus "denjenigen" would be plural while "demjenigen" is singular which is what is meant here.
Er produziert an denjenigen
Das heißt, dass doch das, was er produziert an ihn geht?

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz

Beitrag von tiorthan »

Das "an" ist das gleiche wie in "eine Menge an Dingen". Diese Verwendung der Präposition ist nicht mehr so gebräuchlich, deshalb ist das wahrscheinlich etwas verwirrend.

Adrox98
Topic Talker

Beitrag von Adrox98 »

Achso, ich dachte jetzt schon, dass ich nichts mehr verstehe :D

Duckduck
Anglo Master

Beitrag von Duckduck »

edmont hat geschrieben: The two words highlighted in red are what I'm mainly struggling with.

Mit dem Begriff des Mehrwerts umschreibt der Proletarier das einzige Verhältnis, das er zur bürgerlichen Kultur haben kann: "Er produzierte an demjenigen, was dieses Kulturgut kostete, er produzierte für andere Mehrwert, das allein verstand er."

I wonder if "an demjenigen" should be "an denjenigen"? -- But either way, I don't understand how those two words work, what they mean, in this sentence.  Thank you for any assistance.
Hi everyone!

tiorthan might mean the same as me, but I would paraphrase it a little differntly:

the worker is part of the process that adds worth to the material (supplied by the factory owner) he uses by applying his skills and time etc.
What is probably meant here is that a table is worth more (i.e. sold at a higher price) than the wood, nails or screws it is made of. And although the worker gets paid for his work, the owner of the factory makes an even bigger profit.

Cheers
Marxduck :chief:
Mein Farbcode für Korrekturen:
Fehler / Stil/Ausdruck / Anmerkung

edmont
Story Teller
Muttersprache: English

Beitrag von edmont »

Adrox98, tiorthan, and Marxduck, thank you all for the excellent lesson! Studying the dialog between the three of you was highly educational.

So it is something like,

"he produced of it (of the cultural good), what it cost" -

which means that, while he did not himself produce the cultural good (the art, science, education, media, religion/spirituality/philosophy), he produced what it cost, in other words, he believes he produced the business profits by means of which someone else (the manager or capitalist) is enabled to pay the cost of the cultural good.

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz

Beitrag von tiorthan »

Yes Duckduck! That's a perfect explanation and exactly what I meant.

Antworten