Alles zur englischen Grammatik.
How to deal with English grammar.
Antworten
edmont
Story Teller
Muttersprache: English

Seeking help with referent of "der" in a sentence

Beitrag von edmont »

Am Ostersonntag, dem 20. April 1919, kam Fritz mit seiner Frau Jane und Karl, der in den letzten Wochen wegen der Drucklegung des Buches zwischen der Schweiz und Württemberg hin- und hergependelt war, in Stuttgart an.

Does the highlighted "der" in the above sentence refer only to Karl? Could it refer to Karl and Jane? Or perhaps even to Fritz alone, since other context shows he is the main person in the story? 

Thank you for any assistance.  If possible, explanation with a rule is great, but intuition is great too.

Keswick
English Legend
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Re: Seeking help with referent of "der" in a sentence

Beitrag von Keswick »

"Der" in this context refers to Karl. Fritz arrived with his wife Jane, and Karl, who due to the printing of the book....

I am afraid I can't give you a proper grammatical explanation but maybe tiorthan can, he's a grammar genius!
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

Duckduck
Anglo Master

Beitrag von Duckduck »

edmont hat geschrieben: Am Ostersonntag, dem 20. April 1919, kam Fritz mit seiner Frau Jane und Karl, der in den letzten Wochen wegen der Drucklegung des Buches zwischen der Schweiz und Württemberg hin- und hergependelt war, in Stuttgart an.

Does the highlighted "der" in the above sentence refer only to Karl? Yes it does, as Keswick already said.  :freu: And I can give you one or two reasons if you like (and I know you do...).
1. As a rule the relative pronoun, introducing the relative clause,  follows the noun (or whatever is its referent) directly.
2. In this case the relative clause can't refer to Karl and Jane (and maybe even Fritz) because the relative pronoun (der) and the auxiliary at the end of the relative clause (war) would have to be in the plural
Since your German is so good you might want to check this, even if it is in German:
http://mein-deutschbuch.de/relativprono ... infuehrung

Could it refer to Karl and Jane? Or perhaps even to Fritz alone, since other context shows he is the main person in the story? Nope :mrgreen:

Thank you for any assistance.  If possible, explanation with a rule is great, but intuition is great too.
Cheers,
Duckduck
(who's not so bad in grammar either, dearest Keswick... :prost: )
Mein Farbcode für Korrekturen:
Fehler / Stil/Ausdruck / Anmerkung

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

Duckduck hat geschrieben:(who's not so bad in grammar either, dearest Keswick... :prost: )
Absolutely correct, but I hadn't seen you online in a while. Nowt bad intended, dearest!  :wink:
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

edmont
Story Teller
Muttersprache: English

Beitrag von edmont »

Keswick and Duckduck, thank you both!  So good to be able to hear from a community of experts who can confirm or question each other's conclusions. Duckduck, thank you for the crystalline explanation and the link!

Antworten