Akzeptierte Englische Vokabeln in der deutschen alltäglichen Sprache

Hier dreht sich alles um englische Vokabeln.
Learn more about words.
Antworten
patatipatata
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: Französisch/Arabisch

Akzeptierte Englische Vokabeln in der deutschen alltäglichen Sprache

Beitrag von patatipatata »

Hallo zusammen!
I was wondering why when you ask Google translate about "swimming pool" in German, the first answer that shows up is " Pool". I was skeptical, so I went to search about this "Pool" in German dictionaries. No surprise: it doesn't exist (or rather with the meaning of swimming pool)
I think it is just that Germans use English words a lot and use this one so much (because it's obviously easier to say Pool than Schwimmbad) that it has become part of the language. Am I right in this? If yes, what would be the correct article? Das? Der? I would go for Das because it's foreign.
Your thoughts?

Keswick
English Legend
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Re: Akzeptierte Englische Vokabeln in der deutschen alltäglichen Sprache

Beitrag von Keswick »

Hello,

You are right, there are a lot of English words that have made their way into German language usage - not all of them wisely used, but that's just my humble opinion. I for example wasn't aware that it is common to use "swimming pool" or "pool" in Germany if you refer to a Schwimmbad.

Anyway, the correct article would be "der (Swimming) Pool" - however I don't think there is a strict rule about the articles of non-German words.

Best regards,
Keswick
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz
Muttersprache: de, (pl)

Re: Akzeptierte Englische Vokabeln in der deutschen alltäglichen Sprache

Beitrag von tiorthan »

"Der Swimmingpool" or short "der Pool" is not used for Schwimmbad in Germany, it's always synonymous with Schwimmbecken.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.
MistakeSuggestionYou sure that's right?

Antworten