Let's speak English here.
Antworten
Büchervampirin
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Improving the writing skills

Beitrag von Büchervampirin »

Hello,
my writing skills in English are very bad. I want to improve that because I will have my exam in 2 years and it will be very important for my A-level.
Have somebody an idea how to improve the writing skills?
In the internet stands that you can write some texts to immprove your writing skills but I have no idea what I should write.
Best wishes
Büchervampirin

Keswick
English Legend
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Re: Improving the writing skills

Beitrag von Keswick »

Hello there, 

You could write essays about all sorts of topics, such as day-to-day politics, or your hobbies?

What do you think?

Keswick
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

WilliamBrown
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: english

Beitrag von WilliamBrown »

I agree with Keswick's answer. Also, I think you should read more in English as well to improve your writing skills. But choose literature to read wisely.  :D

Isaac
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: English

Beitrag von Isaac »

Hello. Can I make two recommendations:
1) As someone has mentioned, reading is an excellent way to learn how to write. The thing about reading is that you can gain a huge amount of 'input' in a short amount of time (a lot more than conversations). While you may not be able to immediately reproduce what you have read, your amazing human brain will process it for later use.
2) Try to concentrate on learning collocations rather than just single words. Collocations are perfect blocks of language so when you come to write, it will be a lot easier to piece the sentences together. I actually wrote a short article about collocations here that may be of use to you.
Hope that helps.
Isaac

Antworten