Gaukelwerk?

Hier dreht sich alles um englische Vokabeln.
Learn more about words.
Antworten
tiorthan
Lingo Whiz
Muttersprache: de, (pl)

Gaukelwerk?

Beitrag von tiorthan »

A rare event: I've got a question.

I'm currently trying fix a book translation and I'm stuck with the translation Gaukelwerk and Gaukler in a sentence that, in short, reads something like this:

Then I show practical excercises [...] so you can see that what I write is based on real ability and not on Gaukelwerk, especially since there is a big difference between Gaukelwerk and real fencing and real warriors care about the art [of fencing] while Gauklers don't.

It's a book about fencing in the long sword from 1570, so the original is in Early High German. In German a Gaukler is a traveling entertainer which includes all types of entertainment that were around at the time. At the time, those people were seen as the dregs of society and Gaukelwerk, which is literally "work done by a Gaukler" derogatory. The author of the text uses it as "something that looks entertaining but is not actually usable in a real situation".

I'd really like to keep the the references the sentence makes between the two occurances of Gaukelwerk and the reference made by Gaukler, as I don't want to deviate too much from the original text.

So my question is: Does any one of you have a suggestion for a translation of Gaukelwerk and Gaukler that would make sense in place of the bold words in my rough interpretation above.

The German transcription of the complete sentence, if that's of any interest to anyone:

Dann zum dritten die übung der kunst an ir selbst darzuthun / wie sie sol aus den erklerten hauwen und Legern ins werck gericht werden / auff das nit allein die Jugent so sich auff solche kunst zubegeben willens / durch solche jnen vnbekandte wort jrrig gemacht / vn zur verachtung diser kunst verursacht würde / oder auch so mitten in der kunst solcher wort gedacht / erst von nöten sie zu erkleren / welchs dann ein sehr verdrießlich zu lesen / sonder auch die erfarnen abnemen mögen / das die übung des Fechtens / aus rechtem verstendigen grundt ihr herkommen habe / und nicht an leichtfertigem Gaukelwerck gelegen / sintemal vnder solchem Gauckelwerck vnd dem Fechten ein sehr grosser vnderscheid ist / vnnd die Ritterliche kunst des Fechtens von allen weit erfarnen Kriegsleuten / insonderheit den Römern in grossem werdt / Hiergegen aber die Gauckler / vor das vnwerdest lisest gesindt / so auff der welt befunden / jhe vnd alweg gehalten worden.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.
MistakeSuggestionYou sure that's right?

Keswick
English Legend
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Re: Gaukelwerk?

Beitrag von Keswick »

Hi tiorthan,

Waere hier das Wort "figment" passend? Wenn ich den deutschen Text lese, dann stelle ich mir hier im Zusammenhang das Gaukelwerk als "figment" vor. 
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz
Muttersprache: de, (pl)

Re: Gaukelwerk?

Beitrag von tiorthan »

Gute Idee, daraus kann ich glaub ich etwas machen.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.
MistakeSuggestionYou sure that's right?

Antworten