Which accent to pick: Australian or British?

Let's speak English here.
Antworten
philip730d
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Which accent to pick: Australian or British?

Beitrag von philip730d »

Hey guys,
I am studying English for 5 years now and was lately talking to an english friend of mine (from London). He said that my accent is quite a mix between British and Australian and suggested to decide for one and learn this one properly then. Which one would you choose? Can you give me some pros and cons?
Btw my friend pointed out that I am probably closer to Australian. But maybe an Australian will tell me the other way around.

Thanks!

philip730d
Bilingual Newbie

Re: Which accent to pick: Australian or British?

Beitrag von philip730d »

Just want to correct my following sentences: I have been learning and At the moment I am trying to figuring out. Carless mistakes  :shock:

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

Hello,
Why would you want to choose an accent?

First I lived and studied in Scotland, and then moved to Newcastle where I have been living and working for over decade now. Both times I picked up the local accent, which led to me speaking Geordie with a faint touch of Scottish still. It never occurred to me to learn one of them "properly" and drop the other. Both of them have their charm, both of them make me somewhat unique (especially when combined with the German twang that you never really get rid off..), so no I'd never give up either.

If you really wanted to drop one, then by all means do so. Just pick the one that comes more natural to you.

Keswick
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

Schuyler
Frequent Typer
Muttersprache: English (US)

Beitrag von Schuyler »

Honestly, I do not think any accent is necessarily better or more advantageous to learn than another. Native speakers (and most intermediate and advanced learners) are generally be able to understand both British and Australian accents without much trouble, so if your main goal for learning the language is to understand and be able to converse with people in English, then I would recommend just picking the accent that is easiest and most comfortable for you.

The only pro I can think of for either accent is if you are planning to move to Britain or Australia and want to try to "fit in" as much as possible, and even then, I doubt anybody would care if your pronunciation is a little different from theirs. As it is, chances are you will never be able to sound completely native, so you will always have a bit of a foreign accent no matter what. :)
American • she/they • sie/ihr
EN (L1) • DE (B2?) • PL (A1)

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz
Muttersprache: de, (pl)

Beitrag von tiorthan »

One question in addition to what Schuyler wrote: Do you, personally, share your friends assessment of your accent. Would you even care, if he didn't suggest anything?
You're never too old to learn something stupid.
MistakeSuggestionYou sure that's right?

Antworten