Howdy from the UK

Write something about yourself (who you are and where you come from).
Antworten
PitaBread
Slow Speller
Muttersprache: Englisch

Howdy from the UK

Beitrag von PitaBread »

I'm quite excited to be here because it feels like I'm on the other side of the language barrier, as it were. I'm here to both immerse myself even more into the world of German, to help you guys with your English, and to get some more practice in using German. I've been teaching myself German for a number of years, love the language, and enjoy talking to the majority of the people who I've come across.

When I saw the German rules, before switching to the English language, as I thought that was mandatory, I noticed that, when speaking German, you require us to speak Hochdeutsch, and standard at that. This could be a problem for me, as I may not realise that something I say is or isn't standard, because I pick up a lot of things from people whom I chat with—I'll do my best. xD I would show you what I have, so to speak, but something tells me this forum (not board) is English-only.

Anyway! Who am I? I'm Pita, of course! I find language interesting, something I take up on my own. I hope to one day learn (and re-learn a lot) German on an acadmic level, because teaching yourself something doesn't always raise eyebrows, 'though I do sometimes wonder if it's even necessary, given the progress I've made on my own.

I'm 29 years old, male, and I live in the UK, England. I live in shared accommodation, in a small flat (apartment) with one other person and await a place of my own. I'm a guitarist as well, focused mainly on acoustic fingerstyle, if anyone's familiar with that. Pretty good with computers, too. Bit of a gamer, but nothing huge anymore. Although this thread makes me look quite formal and stiff, I'm typically actually far more laid back.

Lastly, if anything I have said confused you, with regards to the English meaning of something, then please don't hesitate to ask via PM.
Mein Deutsch ist nicht perfekt, also sei bitte geduldig mit mir. Wir sehen uns!

Keswick
English Legend
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Re: Howdy from the UK

Beitrag von Keswick »

Hello Pita, and welcome to the forum!  :mrgreen:

If you want to practise your German, then I'd suggest you write a few German essays, and we will correct them for you. How does that sound?

Don't worry about the Hochdeutsch bit. If you used a word or expression that we don't understand, then we'd certainly let you know :) .
Also, most of the contributions to the forum are in English, simply because people come here to learn English. But by all means, please write in German, and we correct any mistakes that you might make :) .

And finally, whereabouts in the UK are you from?

Best regards
Keswick
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

PitaBread
Slow Speller

Beitrag von PitaBread »

Fantastic. I was a bit worried how my intro thread would be taken, but it seems so far so good.

I'm from the Oxfordshire area in England. :D (wurde aber im Norden Schottlands geboren, und wohnte leider die meiste meines Lebens in England, dort wurde ich meist von meinem schottischen Vater großgezogen) Since I can mostly type in English, it'll be really handy (nützlich) for when speaking in German is too much of a headache. (schwer, mich nervt, oder Stress gibt) Hah. I'm looking forward to getting to know this board.

When it comes to my potentially helping people with their English, do you have any recommendations as to where I could start? Last question for this message: should I be using the Sie-form, or is it like just about everywhere else online? I just don't wanna be rude. xD

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

PitaBread hat geschrieben:Fantastic. I was a bit worried how my intro thread would be taken, but it seems so far so good.

I'm from the Oxfordshire area in England. :D (wurde aber im Norden Schottlands geboren, und wohnte leider die meiste Zeit meines Lebens in England. Dort wurde ich meist von meinem schottischen Vater großgezogen) Since I can mostly type in English, it'll be really handy (nützlich) for when speaking in German is too much of a headache. (schwer, mich nervt, oder mich stresst) Hah. I'm looking forward to getting to know this board.

When it comes to my potentially helping people with their English, do you have any recommendations as to where I could start? Last question for this message: should I be using the Sie-form, or is it like just about everywhere else online? I just don't wanna be rude. xD
Hello again :)

I love Scotland. I used to live in Edinburgh, and I love going on holiday to Western Argyle. I have never been to the far North of Scotland though. Certainly an area that I should visit soon!

We normally use RED to indicate a mistake, GREEN to make (better) suggestions and BLUE in case we want to add a comment. If someone posts a text that they want corrected, or any help with translations, please feel free to jump in and help where you can (and want of course). Keep the forum rules in mind though. People should always make a reasonable effort especially when it comes to translations. We won't do the work for them, as this would be unfair on us. Also, sometimes people use online translators rather than trying themselves. You will easily spot this though, as texts by online translators normally make you cringe  :shock: .

And as for the Sie form - don't worry about it, we're amongst friends  :spin:.
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz
Muttersprache: de, (pl)

Beitrag von tiorthan »

Keswick hat geschrieben:
PitaBread hat geschrieben:Dort wurde ich hauptsächlich/größtenteils von meinem schottischen Vater großgezogen
Meist sounds odd in this sentence, as if raising you was done in clearly separate units of time (maybe even with times during which you weren't raised at all). 
You're never too old to learn something stupid.
MistakeSuggestionYou sure that's right?

PitaBread
Slow Speller

Beitrag von PitaBread »

Yeah, that's because I was partly raised by my father and partly by my mother, but I was mostly raised by my dad; with that context, does it make more sense now? I like the suggestion of hauptsächlich or größtenteils; words I never use but probably should. xD That fits more to what I was trying to express.

I was just thinking of it as "most of the time" which I think is die meiste Zeit, and I assumed meist was a sort of abbreviation. Perhaps in helping me with my German, you'll understand how us English speakers think. 8)

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz
Muttersprache: de, (pl)

Beitrag von tiorthan »

I was just thinking of it as "most of the time" which I think is die meiste Zeit, and I assumed meist was a sort of abbreviation. Perhaps in helping me with my German, you'll understand how us English speakers think. 8)
Technically "meist" is short for "meistens".

I'd actually like the opinion of another German native speaker on that matter. German may be my first language, but it isn't the native language of my autistic brain.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.
MistakeSuggestionYou sure that's right?

Duckduck
Anglo Master

Beitrag von Duckduck »

Hallo allerseits,

Ihr Lieben lasst ja gerne mal nicht wirklich viele gute Haare an Büchern, die uns vorschreiben, wie die Sprache auszusehen hat. Vieles davon ist nachvollziehbar, aber ich schlage doch vor, wir schauen eben mal im Duden nach :read: und siehe:

http://www.duden.de/suchen/dudenonline/meistens

tiorthans Gefühl hat nicht getrogen. Allerdings, und das ist Wasser auf Eure Mühlen, im Sprachgebrauch des Durchschnittsdeutschen würde, so er denn diese Wörter überhaupt noch kennt, die Unterscheidung wohl eher keine Rolle mehr spielen.

Die ja auch gerade in einem anderen thread wieder aufgelebte Diskussion um die Fragen:

Was ist richtig, :freu:
was ist veraltet, :chief:
was ist dies und das? :confused:

hatten wir ja schon ab und zu und sie ist sicher richtig und wichtig.
Allerdings sträuben sich bei mir, die ich ja Englisch lehre, ein wenig die Haare, wenn ich allzu rigorose Aussagen lese, wie sinngemäß nur Muttersprachler entscheiden, ob eine Formulierung, die von der bisher üblichen Norm abweicht, richtig ist oder nicht und zwar allein schon, indem sie die Norm brechen, bumms!.
So als sei alles, was ein Muttersprachler, egal welcher Sprache, sagt per se richtig, nur weil er es sagt (klar, ich sehe, dass es nicht um eine Einzelperson geht, sondern natürlich um eine Gruppe von Menschen). Das Argument, dass in Dialekten von der gängigen Grammatik abweichende Formulierungen durchaus verbreitet und daher als richtig einzustufen sind, stimmt, ist aber eben auch doch wieder nur ein Teil der Wahrheit.
Ohne Frage entwickelt sich jede Sprache und was heute noch unsere Augenbrauen in die Höhe schießen läßt, kann in einigen Jahren völlig regelkonform geworden sein, eben weil die Regeln sich verändern.
Vielleicht haben wir ein Definitionsproblem und sollten versuchen, die Kategorien "richtig" und "falsch" zu ersetzen mit "gebräuchlich/ungebräuchlich" o.ä.
Was ich eben anmerken möchte ist, dass wenn wir eine Sprache lehren, wir uns natürlich an Regeln orientieren müssen und den armen Lernenden auch unmöglich jede Abweichung und sich im Verlauf befindliche Veränderung in die Ohren blasen können. So kann kein Mensch eine Sprache lernen, wenn es in einer Art Sprachunterricht geschehen soll. (Ich persönlich rette mich dann immer in Phrasen wie "in der Regel ist das so und so, es gibt aber Ausnahmen..."). Ich habe ja vornehmlich mit Erwachsenen zu tun und musste einsehen, dass es einem Menschen, der Fortschritte machen will, nicht zuzumuten ist, sich mit zu viel Muddelkram und einerseits/andererseits auseinanderzusetzen. Das verwirrt und hilft keinem weiter. Wenn Ihr in der Situation seid, dass Ihr Menschen zum Sprechen der Fremdsprache bringen wollt, dann muss die Genauigkeit, der wissenschaftliche Tiefgang und die Einbeziehung aller laufenden regionalen und sonstigen Abweichungen erheblich eingeschränkt werden. Sonst kommt da gar nichts raus, glaubt es mir!

Wenn hier im Forum manchmal Fragen von Schülern/Studenten gestellt werden, müssen wir bei der Beantwortung davon ausgehen, dass sie die gegebene Information in ihrer Arbeit verwenden. Da hilft es dann gar nicht, dass einer von uns in irgendeinem Dialekt schon mal diese oder jene Abweichung gehört hat, wenn der jeweilige Lehrer sie nicht anerkennt und als falsch anstreicht. Da bleibt uns doch nichts anderes übrig, als die derzeit gängigen Regeln - mögen sie auch im Auslaufen begriffen sein - zu vermitteln.

Ich widerspreche keinem von Euch, der auf die Veränderung der Sprache hinweist und besonders natürlich den Muttersprachlern nicht, die das eine oder andere als veraltet oder aufgeblasen empfinden und natürlich damit recht haben. Aber wir sollten bei unseren Diskussionen und Beantwortungen von Fragen genau hinschauen, ob der Fragende Hilfe für Englisch als zu prüfende Sprache hat, oder ob er eine sprachwissenschaftliche Evaluation braucht.

Uiii, nun erstmal ein :prost:  und die besten Wünsche für ein frohes Fest!

Duckduck
Mein Farbcode für Korrekturen:
Fehler / Stil/Ausdruck / Anmerkung

Antworten