I looking for a native english speaker?!

Let's speak English here.
Antworten
Celina:)
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: deutsch

I looking for a native english speaker?!

Beitrag von Celina:) »

Hey guys,
I search a native english speaker to improve my english. I'm a german girl from Bremen and travelled a lot in the last year. But my english is still bad, so I hope somebody want to talk with me :D fell free to contact me

Keswick
English Legend
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Re: I looking for a native english speaker?!

Beitrag von Keswick »

Celina:) hat geschrieben:Hey guys,
I search a native English speaker to improve my English. I'm a German girl from Bremen and travelled a lot in the last year. But my English is still bad, so I hope that somebody would like to talk with me :D Feel free to contact me
Welcome to the forum Celina !  :freu:
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

Schuyler
Frequent Typer
Muttersprache: English (US)

Beitrag von Schuyler »

Hey guys,
I am searching for a native English speaker to improve my English. I'm a German girl from Bremen who has travelled a lot in the last year. But my English is still bad, so I hope that [Keswick is not wrong, but "that" is optional here; it's okay to leave it out] somebody would like to talk with me. :D Feel free to contact me.
Hello, Celina!

I'm Schuyler, and I live in New Jersey, USA. I would be happy to chat with you and help you improve your English. :) I love to travel! Unfortunately, I do not have enough money or free time to travel very often at the moment, but whenever I have the chance, I always have a lot of fun exploring new places, meeting new people, and seeing things I have not seen before. What is the most interesting place you have been to recently?
American • she/they • sie/ihr
EN (L1) • DE (B2?) • PL (A1)

maxioso7
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: Englisch

Beitrag von maxioso7 »

Hi Celina! My name is Maxx, I'm a native speaker from Dallas, TX, USA, and I'm pretty keen on helping others with their English when need be. To be honest, I signed up on this forum to find native German speakers to help me with my German (I'm kind of rusty too...haha), so you're in luck! =D 

LongBeach
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von LongBeach »

I am a German who studies at the Cal State Long Beach with a major in Linguistics (focus on grammar). I am very proficient in English and German and when I listen to my fellow students, I assume that my English is better than the English of many native speakers here.
Hey, hey... Someone from Dallas here. I love Texas!!!! Would have loved to study near Dallas but $19,000 tuition in Arlington vs. $6,000 in Long Beach...

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

Hi LongBeach,

Please could you change your native language to German only? Thanks :)

LongBeach
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von LongBeach »

Nope. I got raised bilingually. Thus, my second mother tongue is English :)

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

I see, just wasn't sure as you said you were German, and proficient in English, so I assumed German is your first language.

LongBeach
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von LongBeach »

I think that my German is still better than my English.

I am shocked, by the way, how badly Amercians speak English.
They say things like "it's him", "it's me" (instead of "It's he" or "it's I". Do Britons do this, too?

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz
Muttersprache: de, (pl)

Beitrag von tiorthan »

LongBeach hat geschrieben:I think that my German is still better than my English.

They say things like "it's him", "it's me" (instead of "It's he" or "it's I". Do Britons do this, too?
I don't see any problems with that. The object form has been a non-subject form in almost all spoken dialects for a long time now. This may not conform to some books but since when have books been in the right? Language correctness cannot be defined by anyone except the native speakers of a language.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.
MistakeSuggestionYou sure that's right?

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

They do, longbeach, but to be honest, I don't think that Brits or Americans make more (or worse) mistakes than Germans. I have met my fair share of Germans who couldn't speak proper German, and made some cringeworthy mistakes.

LongBeach
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von LongBeach »

Oooooh yes. :D :D :D :D :D

Ainamkoz
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: Russian

Beitrag von Ainamkoz »

Hello everyone!!! 
My name is Ainamkoz. I am from Kazakhstan, but now live in Italy. I can speak fluent Kazakh and Russian;) Also, I do speak English, but I wish to feel myself more confident and comfortable when I speak to someone! So,  I need someone to chat who can correct my mistakes and help me to improve my English in general! 
 And if you are interested in learning Russian, I'll be very glad to help you:) 

Thank you in advance!! 

DDN-Help
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: English

Beitrag von DDN-Help »

I'm native  :D

PitaBread
Slow Speller
Muttersprache: Englisch

Beitrag von PitaBread »

LongBeach hat geschrieben:I think that my German is still better than my English.

Hi there, LongBeach.

That usage of it is I is largely outdated now, unless you're looking for a high level of formality in how you speak, which would totally be fair enough, but you'll likely sound stuffy and unusual, ordinarily. This goes for both US and British English. Languages evolve, or, depending on your perspective, devolve. ;]

There are undoubtedly a lot of differences between the British and US English, as well as quirks in both. US English makes me cringe sometimes, but it's just the way it is. There are plenty of ways in which us Brits pee over the English language a bit, believe me. I'm just a lover of English and get quite pedantic about it, despite how laid back I can be, especially with slang.

If you meant by the way as the expression similar to übrigens, then ignore this, otherwise: "I am shocked by how badly Americans speak English," or you can say, "I am shocked, by the way, as to how badly Americans speak English." The latter is entirely optional, but the "as to" just adds a little something that further separates the by the way from the rest of the sentence.

Something to consider, at least by my experience with German, is that when you learn a language, you tend to stumble across the "proper" way to say and write things that is either very formal or no longer natural. There is also the case of different dialects. I've seen a few German natives make mistakes that have made me cringe as well, such as using weil with the same word order as denn, in the Nebensatz: ich kann nicht fahren, weil es ist zu teuer. To be fair though, these people are usually on the younger side. (Steam and online games 8P)

Lastly, consider that people may write, type, or even say something in a different or wrong way for stylistic effect, such as in creative writing, or just for funsies. For example, there's no such word as funsies, as far as I know, but I like saying it for effect, because it's fun! Sure, I could go around saying "It is I! I have come forth!" but I'd sound ridiculous out in the streets.

Hope that was understandable and interesting. 8)
Mein Deutsch ist nicht perfekt, also sei bitte geduldig mit mir. Wir sehen uns!

Antworten