Let's speak English here.
Antworten
hossy
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: Englisch

What does it mean when i say "

Beitrag von hossy »

Hello everyone,
Am not quite sure if this is the correct place for this sort of post. I have just signed up and am completely new at this site. 
Okay, let me just hit the nail on the head. Am learning Deutsch and theres a sentence which makes me stuck. Google translator or other online translators are saying different things and are not providing the exact meaning.

Could somebody please tell me what this statement mean :

Kann dir doch egal sein,  was du singst? 
I dont wanna the literary translation but what it really means?

Thankz a lot
Sorry for inconvenience for the post

Duckduck
Anglo Master
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Re: What does it mean when i say "

Beitrag von Duckduck »

hossy hat geschrieben: Could somebody please tell me what this statement means :

Kann dir doch egal sein,  was du singst? 
Hi hossy,
Well, what you really tell the person is that they shouldn't be bothered about what they are supposed to sing (implying that they should stop bothering you about this not being their kind of music, too modern or too old-fashined etc. Something along the lines of "You get payed for it, so stop moaning and nagging and just do it!"
Is that what you wanted?

Duckduck
Mein Farbcode für Korrekturen:
Fehler / Stil/Ausdruck / Anmerkung

hossy
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von hossy »

Sounds that the statement carries careless meaning and the audience might seem to either sing or not.
Does it mean when isay:
I dont mind if you sing or not. 

Does the statement has a disapproval sort of form?   

Thanks bye the way,

N.b You don't have to correct the misspelling errors of the post as long as its cleary being understood.

Duckduck
Anglo Master

Beitrag von Duckduck »

hossy hat geschrieben:That sounds as if the statement was meant to express carelessness and the audience might seem to either sing or not.
Does it mean when I say?????: What would it be if I wanted to say/ What would be:
I dont mind if you sing or not. 

Does the statement sound disapproving?   

Thanks bye the way,

N.b You don't have to correct the misspelling errors of the post as long as it's cleary being understood.
Hi again, hossy!
It seems there was a misunderstanding.
Obviously, your first statement had a different meaning from what you wanted to express in the first place. Next time please give us a little more context. Do I take it that you are the singer and want to tell the audience that they might suit themselves - either sing along or not - it's all the same to you?
Then it should be
Ist mir egal, ob Ihr mitsingt oder nicht! -> Though this would be quite unnecesssarily unfriendly!
A little nicer:
Wenn Ihr mögt, könnt Ihr mitsingen - oder eben nicht. (=You can sing along if you like - or you just don't)
Really friendly:
Wer Lust hat singt mit, die anderen hören zu, mir ist beides recht! (=Sing along those of you who feel like it, the others just listen - I'm happy with both!

Oh and hossy, you're in a forum where people want to learn or improve their English. So it's really important that a native speaker like you should watch their spelling and grammar as much as possible - just so they don't confuse the readers, OK?! :prost:  
Duckduck
Mein Farbcode für Korrekturen:
Fehler / Stil/Ausdruck / Anmerkung

hossy
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von hossy »

Hi there, 
Thank you so much for the explanation. I didn't realise that people on this site are interested in learning/improving their english. 
With regards to my statement, your first post summed up what i was looking for.

I appreciate your help.
Regards 
Hossy 

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

hossy hat geschrieben:Hi there, 
Thank you so much for the explanation. I didn't realise that people on this site are interested in learning/improving their English
With regards to my statement, your first post summed up what I was looking for.

I appreciate your help.
Regards 
Hossy 
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

Antworten