How to deal with English grammar.
Antworten
feleon
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Englische Grammatik Frage

Beitrag von feleon »

hello!

I like to improve me english. I have a question.
how is it right called:
1. Do you like to play a round
or
2. Do you like to playing a round

i think its present progressive because the act is limited of a time period (a round)
I´m right?

thaaaanks very much!!!!!

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz
Muttersprache: de, (pl)

Re: Englische Grammatik Frage

Beitrag von tiorthan »

feleon hat geschrieben:Hello!

I'd1 like to improve my2 English3. I have a question.
How is it said correctly4:
1. Do you like to play a round
or
2. Do you like to playing a round

i think it's5 present progressive because the act is limited to a time period (a round)
Am I6 right?

Thaaaanks very much!!!!!
To answer your question first: No, the present progressive is wrong.

Actually, you have several things wrong here. First, just because you have an ing-form does not mean that you also have a progressive. It's not the ing-form that makes the progressive, in fact, it's the other way round, the progressive just makes use of the ing-form.

But, "like to playing" is wrong anyway, no matter what you're trying to say. The verb "like" does not allow you to use anything but a noun. You can say "I like potatoes" because "potatoes" is a noun. You can also say "I like playing" because the ing-form is a kind of noun (the gerund). What you have wrong here is that you seem to think that the "to" actually belongs to the "like" to form some kind of phrasal verb "like to". However, the "to" actually belongs to the following verb, it is the marker for the to-infinitive, when you say "I like to play" you're actually saying "I like " and " = to play". You can do that, because to-infinitives, where they can be used, can act similar to a noun in a sentence.

Please use proper capitalization in the future. If you're unsure of the rules they are simple. You capitalize:
- The beginning of each sentence and paragraph.
- The word "I"
- All names including the names of languages, geographical names, nationalities etc.
- Proper nouns. That are nouns that are not names but identify a single entity similar to a name, for example "the Sun" means our sun while "a sun" is just any star that is a sun to some planet.

1 - Using "I like" means things you actually like. You can say "I like ice cream". But it is not used for things you'd like to do, these things always come with "would like to" where the "would" is often shortened to "'d" if it is allowed.

2 - The word "me" and the word "my" have different meanings. "Me" is the so-called object-form of the first person pronoun but if you want to say "belongs to me" the proper pronoun is "my" which denotes possession.

3 - See the capitalization rules I posted above. "English" is the name of a language and a nationality. It is therefore always capitalized.

4 - The way this is used in German (Wie heißt ...) is rather peculiar and cannot be translated into English. In English you don't "call" things, unless you want to know their name, make a phone call or address them.

5 - "Its" is a possessive pronoun like my, yours, his, hers, ours, theirs, "it's" on the other hand is what you want here, the contraction of "it is".

6 - Questions are the only exception to English's word order rules. In a question, the finite verb (the one that is marked for person and time) is placed before the subject. (Unless the subject is also a question word, which always comes first in a sentence).
You're never too old to learn something stupid.
MistakeSuggestionYou sure that's right?

Antworten