Hi, i'm new and i would like to know it really accurate ...

Where everybody can talk about anything. Slang is welcome and even encouraged.
Antworten
Tysker
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Hi, i'm new and i would like to know it really accurate ...

Beitrag von Tysker »

Hello to all,

my name is Michael, i'm 38 and have registered here because i would like to refresh my English. Therefore, in front, straight away, Thanks to all, who will point out my mistakes.

The background is, that I mainly live in Denmark and i'm really ashamed of my English. My impression is, the better my Danish, the bader my english.

Of course, i'm working really hard on my Danish, every day, but here in Denmark it's also important to be able to speak a good English, especially if you want to talk to non-Danes, who doesn't speak German or just broken Danish.

Most of the Danes are fortunately quite good in English. So, at the point, where my Danish stops, it's possible to continue in English. But that's exactly my problem. My Danish is often still not good enough and my English is not longer good enough. And now i will try to learn both at the same time.

And then, there was still this experience ...

She said: "I'm (dead) keen on you" and i didn't understand immediately what she meant :shock:. Short time later, i could imagine - loosely translated. But nevertheless, what exactly does it mean - exactly translated to German? I could find so many various ... :(

Greetings from DK,
Michael

Posting is a little bit "sponsored" by dict.cc ... :wink:

Azzurri
Frequent Typer

Re: Hi, i'm new and i would like to know it really accurate

Beitrag von Azzurri »

Tysker hat geschrieben:Hello to all,

my name is Michael, I'm 38 and have I registered here because I would like to refresh my English. Therefore, in front, straight away, thanks to all, who will point out my mistakes.

The background is that I mainly live in Denmark and I'm really ashamed of my English. My impression is that my Danish is better than my English.

Of course, I'm working really hard for my Danish, every day, but here in Denmark it's also important to be able to speak English well, especially if you want to talk to non-Danes, who doesn't speak German or just broken Danish.

Fortunately, most of the Danes are quite/pretty good in English. So, at the point, where my Danish stops, it's possible to continue in English. But that's exactly my problem. My Danish is often still not good enough and my English is not longer good enough. And now I will try to learn both at the same time.

She said: "I'm (dead) keen on you" and I didn't understand immediately what she meant :shock:. Short time later, I could imagine - loosely translated. But nevertheless, what exactly does it mean - exactly translated to German? I could find so many various ... :(

Greetings from DK,
Michael

---
Hey Michael and welcome to this board.

Don't be ashamed of your English. I'm pretty sure my English is as yours as in some cases. But hey, everbody understands me and I always try it again.

I corrected your essay as possibile as I could. Sometimes, I'm not quite sure if you are right or I don't know it.
The personal pronoun "I" is always capitalised.

A high skilled English speaker may correct it again if I forgot something or made a mistake.

Best regards,
Azzurri
Lehrling am Werk!

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

Azzurri hat geschrieben:
Tysker hat geschrieben:Hello to all,

My name is Michael, I'm 38 and have I registered here because I would like to brush up my English. Therefore, beforehand and straight away, thanks to all, who will point out my mistakes.

The background is that I mainly live in Denmark and I'm really ashamed of my English. My impression is that my Danish is better than my English.

Of course, I'm working really hard to improve my Danish, on a daily basis but here in Denmark it's also important to be able to speak English well, especially if you want to talk to non-Danes, who don't speak any German or just broken Danish.

Fortunately, most of the Danes are quite/pretty good in English. So, at the point where my Danish stops, it's possible to continue in English. But that's exactly my problem. My Danish is often still not good enough and my English is no longer good enough. And now I want to try to learn both at the same time.

She said: "I'm (dead) keen on you" and I didn't understand immediately what she meant :shock:. A short time later, I had an idea - loosely translated. But nevertheless, what exactly does it mean - exactly translated to German? I could find so many different options ... :(

Regards from DK,
Michael

---
Hey Michael and welcome to this board.

Don't be ashamed of your English. I'm pretty sure my English is as yours as in some cases. But hey, everbody understands me and I always try it again.

I corrected your essay as far as I could. Sometimes, I'm not quite sure if you are right or I don't know it.
The personal pronoun "I" is always capitalised.

A high skilled English speaker may correct it again if I forgot something or made a mistake.

Best regards,
Azzurri
Hello Michael,

Thanks Azzurri for the initial correction, I made a few more changes.

I am afraid there is no literal translation for "I am dead keen on you". The expression "to be keen on you" means something along the lines of "ich habe Interesse an dir" or "ich bin angetan von dir". The "dead" in this case only reinforces the fact that the lady you spoke to was very interested in you. I'd ask her out ;-)

Anyway, welcome to the forum! :) Your English is by far not as bad as you think and with a little bit of practise you'll be fluent soon.

Kind regards
Keswick
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

Duckduck
Anglo Master

Beitrag von Duckduck »

Hallo Alle!

Neben der von Keswick genannten Bedeutung von "be dead keen on sth/sb" gibt es aber doch noch eine tatsächlcih wörtliche Übersetzung. Weil Keswick aber eine junge Dame aus besserem Hause ist, wird sie diese umgangssprachliche Bedeutung nicht kennen. (0der vielleicht doch, aber würde sie nicht in der Öffentlichkeit benennen... :shock: :wink: )

Anyway, neben einer Reihe von möglichen Bedeutungen kann "keen" u.a. "scharf" heißen. Wir hätten demnach die ganz wörtliche Übersetzung "ich bin scharf auf Dich" (Kinder, ab ins Bett und schlafen! :zzz: )!!!

Wie Keswick anmerkte, dient das "dead" hier als Betonung, aber die Ente hat da noch ein kleines Wortspiel entdeckt:

"Ich bin tot(al) scharf auf Dich!" Höhöhö :lol:

Grüße aus der Hitze
Duckduck
Mein Farbcode für Korrekturen:
Fehler / Stil/Ausdruck / Anmerkung

Tysker
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von Tysker »

Thanks a lot for pointing out ...

@ Keswick => as written in Duckducks posting, you are female? And, as written in yours, you'd "asked her out"? :confused: ... :denk: ... :read: ... oha, but, was she interested? Could you convince her and mislead her to ... :censored: ... this could give me some new inspirations :mrgreen:

@ Duckduck => super Wortspiel - and I'm pretty sure, that's it!

Kind regards
Michael

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

Hahaha! Filthy mind! :mrgreen:

Nein, Michael, ich schrieb "I'd ask her out" als Kurzform von "If I was you, I'd ask her out", also "wenn ich an deiner Stelle waere, wuerde ich sie bitten mit mir auszugehen". Ich meine, ich kann sie auch fragen, aber da ich verheiratet bin, waere mein Mann davon vielleicht nicht ganz so begeistert. Und wegschnappen will ich sie dir natuerlich auch nicht :mrgreen: .

VG
Keswick
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

Tysker
Bilingual Newbie

Female inspiration needed ...

Beitrag von Tysker »

Female inspiration needed ...

Hi Keswick,

darf ich Dir mal eine PN schicken?

Hätte da einen, na sagen wir mal, ziemlich persönlichen Text auf Englisch, mit dem ich mich nur ungern blamieren möchte. Wärst Du vielleicht so nett und guckst mal drüber?

Kind regards
Michael

Antworten