just a lill question ^^

Where everybody can talk about anything. Slang is welcome and even encouraged.
Antworten
jenniii
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: german

just a lill question ^^

Beitrag von jenniii »

Im doing a Project in highschool right now...
so the topic is Polution,smog and eviromental issues..
right now im creating a poster and the titel should be " Fresh air not only looks better..:"
but im not sure if i could say it that way..

or

is there a better

way

to express

this

opinion ,

or is it just fine that way... :) thanks a lot

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz
Muttersprache: de, (pl)

Re: just a lill question ^^

Beitrag von tiorthan »

jenniii hat geschrieben:I'm doing a project in school1 right now...
The2 topic is Polution,smog and eviromental issues..
Right now I'm creating a poster and the titel should be " Fresh air not only looks better..:"
but im not sure if I could say it that way..

or

is there a better

way

to express

this

opinion ,

or is it just fine that way... :) thanks a lot
1 - Even if you were at an American, Australian, Scottish or wherever located high school (the correct spelling features a space between the words) you would most likely still only say "in school". Besides, if you are at a German school, the correct term would be Gymnasium or Realschule or Gesamtschule because we don't have high schools in Germany.
If you are at a German school and you'd call it a high school, nobody would really know what kind of school that is, because the term means different things in different parts of the world. And worse, none of the different types of high schools around the globe are really comparable to our German school types.

2 - Using "so" to start a follow-up sentence, seems typically German to me. I mean, English speakers use "so", too. But they use it differently. Usually "So, ..." will be in the first sentence, for example, or if it is in a follow-up, it kind of starts a new topic or timeline.

Please try to use correct capitalization and punctuation. Not only is it easier to read, you also have a better chance to get an answer, because we do correct all mistakes and to see a text from someone who's just obviously been to lazy to care might just some of us from even looking into the problem.

Also, your punctuation is a little weird, to say the least. Your throwing around elipses and line breaks like there's no tomorrow. Please use them sparingly, if at all, because they are unnecessary, and they make you look like someone who forgot what he wanted to say in the middle of the sentence.

And finally the answer to the question:

It depends on what you want to do with that sentence. If, on your poster, there follow-up headlines or items like for example the following:

Fresh air does not only look better...
... it also smells better.
... it is also more healthy.

then your version is grammatically incorrect (see my version for the correction).

Note that your combined use of ellipsis and colon is plain wrong. You use either one separately (or none at all) but never both. If you use the ellipsis, the follow-ups should start with an ellipsis. If you use the colon, the follow-ups should just be plain items (with or without a bullet point).
You're never too old to learn something stupid.
MistakeSuggestionYou sure that's right?

Antworten