Information about the United Kingdom and Ireland
Antworten
ibex
Frequent Typer
Muttersprache: Deutsch

wholemeal bread ?

Beitrag von ibex »

Hi,

I am about to stay some weeks in London (I'm so excited... :D) and I wondered wheter I could get any wholemeal bread up there... Mum said that in the time when she regularly visited her sister in London, they're wouldn't be any because the white bread was considered better. I guess that was because it was something very precious during and after World War II... Is that correct? And - is it possibly to get any wholemeal bread nowadays?

Many thanks in advance and best regards
Ibex

Keswick
English Legend

Re: wholemeal bread ?

Beitrag von Keswick »

Sure you can get wholemeal bread anywhere these days, and seedy wholemeal bread, even rye and sunflower bread (what you'd call Sonnenblumenvollkornbrot). You can even get German and Polish rye bread, walnut bread, olive bread, bacon, onion... you can even get proper German Brezeln from Marks & Spencers. So no worries, you won't starve :D . If you need any more information on food and shopping, let me know, I've been living here for many years and know where to find what ;) .
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

ibex
Frequent Typer

Beitrag von ibex »

ibex hat geschrieben:...is it possibly to get any wholemeal bread nowadays?
Oups... of course "possible".

Thank you very much for your answer! Actually, I found the thought of not being able to get any wholemeal bread in a city as big as London quite strange... and I'm pretty much relieved it's not the case :D. You know, it's one of my peculiarities that I cannot stand white bread... at least not for such a long time.

Is there anything you believe I should definitely try during that month? I mean, I've been in London once and I've seen the most famous tourist sights, but do you have any recommendations concerning culture, beautiful places, getting to know people a bit? What I'm definitely looking forward to is trying toad in the hole or any other of the "specialities of British cuisine" I've heard so much of in school.
I would be most grateful for any tips and suggestions!

Ibex

PS.: If there are any mistakes in my posts, please tell me!

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

ibex hat geschrieben:Is there anything you believe I should definitely try during that month? I mean, I've been to London once and I've seen the most famous tourist sights, but do you have any recommendations concerning culture, beautiful places, getting to know people a bit?

Well, since I don't live anywhere near London, I am afraid I don't know any more about the place than you do. I used to go down for work but never had the time to have a good look around. One of our forum member Delfino lives in the South of England, he might be of help when it comes to hidden cultural treasures in and around the London area.

When it comes to getting to know people I think you should go to pubs and cafes. England has a big pub culture and people tend to talk to each other a lot in pubs. I think this would give you a good chance to get to know people.

As for food.. go for a full English breakfast in case you've never had it. I would suggest haggis but most people don't like the thought of it at all, plus I am not sure whether you can get it in London. Oh and fish & chips, Sunday roast.. if you can get yourself to a pub called Wetherspoons, they're reasonably priced and their food is normally quite good. I am not sure what you like food-wise.. if you could let me know I could find you some more food ideas :) .

ibex
Frequent Typer

Beitrag von ibex »

Keswick hat geschrieben:I would suggest haggis but most people don't like the thought of it at all
Me too... I mean I can imagine it tastes all right, but if I think of that it actually is made of sheep intestines.... Although, sure, it's basically the same as sausage casing... I can remember very well how much I liked tongue of veal as a young child until my parents told me what it actually is :mrgreen:

Yes, I had a full English breakfast twice in my life. It was gorgeous, but, honestly: The sausages were very... um, special. Not exactly like the ones I was used to.

What just came to my mind: What about going running? Should I watch out for the nearest park or is it usual just to jog through the city?

Cheers
Ibex

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

I don't know whereabouts in London you're going to stay but if there's a park anywhere near, I'd go running in the park rather than in the city. British drivers are not very careful when it comes to pedestrians, and you don't want to get run over, do you ;) ?

Delfino
Anglo Veteran
Muttersprache: German

Beitrag von Delfino »

Although I live in the South of England I haven't been to London often. I'd recommend asking in this forum:
http://www.deutsche-in-london.net/forum/page/index.html
...is supplied without liability.
IELTS 7 Good user: operational command, occasional inaccuracies

Antworten