Information about the United Kingdom and Ireland
Antworten
aylos
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Auslandssemester England/ Study aborad

Beitrag von aylos »

Hello everybody...
I´m from germany and currently I´m living in England in the near of Newcastle.
I´m in the study abroad programme here, because I want to improve my language skills.
I only have one big problem. Expect from the seminars and the lectures, there´s no possibility for me to use English.
I´m living in a flat with 6 other girls from Germany, so there´s no oportunity for me :(
In Germany I study English for primary school and in fact of this, it is very important for me to become better in wiritng and even in speaking.
So maybe is there anybody out there for some small-talks? It would also help me to read what you write and to answer :)
It would be great to get some responses.
Also feel free to correct me :spin: that is another important point...do it for all the cute little children in Germany! Because I will be their teacher in the future ;)
Thanks in advance,
aylos :wink:

Keswick
English Legend

Re: Auslandssemester England/ Study aborad

Beitrag von Keswick »

aylos hat geschrieben:Hello everybody...
I'm from Germany and currently I'm living in England, in the near of Newcastle.
I'm in the study abroad programme here, because I want to improve my language skills.
I only have one big problem. Apart from the seminars and the lectures, there are no possibilities for me to use English.
I'm living in a flat with 6 other girls from Germany, so there's no opportunity there for me :(
In Germany I study English for primary school and so it is very important for me to become better in writing and even in speaking for that matter.
So maybe is there is anybody out there for some small-talk? It would also help me to read what you write and to answer :)
It would be great to get some responses.
Also feel free to correct me :spin: this would be another important point...do it for all the cute little children in Germany! Because I will be their teacher in the future ;)
Thanks in advance,

aylos

Hi aylos,

Whereabouts in the Northeast are you staying, are you studying in Durham, Sunderland, Hartlepool, Gateshead, Middlesbrough?

If you told me a little bit about yourself I might be able to tell you where to go and meet people who you can speak English with. The Northerners are friendly people and if you told me what you enjoy doing in your spare time I could nudge you in the right direction :wink:.
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

aylos
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von aylos »

Hey,
it seems like that you´re an expert for this part of England?
And yes you are right I´m studying in Sunderland and the people are very kind, friendly and open-minded :)
Oh I have already been to a few locations here and they were really good.
Are there any cities near sunderland which are worth visiting???
Greets,
aylos

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

aylos hat geschrieben:Hey,
it seems like that you're an expert for this part of England?
And yes you are right I'm studying in Sunderland and the people are very kind, friendly and open-minded :)
Oh I have already been to a few locations here and they were really good.
Are there any cities near Sunderland which are worth visiting???
Regards,
aylos

Well, I wouldn't say I am an expert but I am living in Gateshead, which is only about 15 miles north of Sunderland. And I used to live near Sunderland myself a couple of years ago. Houghton-le-Spring if that rings a bell?

I think Newcastle is certainly worth a visit, great nightlife, the people are lovely and the city as such is beautiful. You certainly can't go back to Germany without having seen the Millenium Bridge, the Angel of the North or St. James' Park :wink: . You can get the bus to Newcastle - it's the X3 going from Parklane every 15 minutes. I am not sure how much the tickets are but if you want to go for a Buzzfare day ticket, it'd be £5.50 because you need 2 zones (red and purple). The bus is going all the way to Eldon Square in the heart of Newcastle.

If you like museums I can recommend the Discovery Museum at Blandford Square or the Hancock Museum (Great North Museum) at Barras Bride (opposite the civic centre). If you like art, try the Laing Art Gallery in New Bridge Street behind the new library. If you like jazz, go to the Jazz Bar in Pink Lane (yes, that's really the name of the street). If you like rock and metal, head for Trillians near Northumberland Street or Legends down Grey Street. If you like party all night go the Gates in Newcastle, or Bigg Market.

Oh and before I forget, try the Metrocentre - one of Europe's biggest shopping malls in Gateshead. To get there you can either get the X88 from Sunderland or the 100 Metrocentre Shuttle from the Greens in Newcastle .. or the X66 from Gateshead. If you like shopping you should give it a go.

How long will you be staying in Sunderland for?

There is so much to see and do in the Northeast. Like I said, feel free to let me know what you like and what you'd like to see and I am happy to be your virtual tour guide, promoting the Northeast.. which in my humble opinion is the best place in England. :mrgreen:

Kind regards,
Keswick

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

:roll: Well.... I talked to my better half yesterday and told him about you and had a telling off for not mentioning beautiful Durham. See, my better half is a born and bread County Durham lad and therefore I simply have to tell you: go and visit the city of Durham. It's a beautiful town with a minster and a very old university. The old town is amazing and there are a couple of spots where you can simply sit and enjoy the view of the old bridges over the river. It's getting a bit nippy now, so I'd suggest get a seat at the window of Cafe Rouge at the riverside :wink: .

Antworten